A simple chocolate cookie with a creamy peppermint filling, Homemade Peppermint Oreos are super easy to make and are super delicious, too!
Chocolate + Peppermint = Christmas Love! A simple chocolate cookie with a creamy peppermint filling, Homemade Peppermint Oreos are super easy to make and super delicious, too! Roll the sides in Peppermint Crunch Sprinkles for some sparkle and an extra burst of peppermint flavor. I was introduced to these tasty cookies by my sister-in-law last Christmas and have been dreaming about making them myself all year!
I’m not quite sure how peppermint became a popular Christmas flavor, but I do love that the legend of the candy cane is symbolic of the real reason for the season. Here’s how the story goes according to The Spangler Candy Company:
In Indiana, a candy maker wanted to make a candy that could be a reminder of Jesus Christ, so he made the Christmas candy cane. He started off with a stick of pure white hard candy. The white color symbolized the virgin birth and the sinless nature of Jesus, and the hard candy symbolized the solid rock which was the foundation of the church, and firmness of the promises of God.
The candy maker made the candy in the form of a J, which represented the name of Jesus and the staff of the Good Shepherds. He then stained it with three stripes which showed the scourging Jesus received, and symbolized the blood shed by Christ on the cross. When you break the cane, it reminds us that Jesus’ body was broken for us.
With only three ingredients in the cookie batter (a cake mix, a stick of butter, and an egg), no measuring is required so these little gems can be ready to bake in no time! The recipe yields two dozen sandwich cookies that are assembled with a fluffy filling made with softened butter, powdered sugar, a little milk or cream, and peppermint extract.
The cookies are perfectly delicious before rolling in the sprinkles, but don’t you think this little extra touch makes them pretty and festive?!
- 1 box Devil's Food cake mix
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Peppermint Crunch Sprinkles for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and egg together until smooth. Add the cake mix and mix until all moistened and batter is smooth, about two minutes.
- Roll dough into 24 equal size balls—use a one-ounce scoop for equal portions—then slice each ball in half. Place the cut side down 2 inches apart on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Press each cookie gently to slightly flatten.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely on cookie racks.
- Beat butter until creamy. Add milk, peppermint extract, and vanilla extract and mix until incorporated. Slowly add powdered sugar and continue beating until fluffy.
- Frost half the cookies on the bottom/flat side and then sandwich with another cookie with the flat side against the filling. Dip the sides of each cookie sandwich in Peppermint Crunch Sprinkles to garnish.
Recipe from I Heart Naptime.