15 minPrep Time
50 minCook Time
1 hr, 5 Total Time
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground red pepper
- 1 (9.5-oz.) package frozen mozzarella-and-Monterey Jack cheese Texas toast, chopped
- 3 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 8 cooked bacon slices, chopped
- 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- Garnish: fresh basil leaves
- Whisk together milk and spices; set aside.
- Lightly grease an 11x7 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Layer half of the bread cubes in bottom of dish and top with half the tomatoes, bacon, and cheese. Repeat the layers then pour milk-egg mixture all over top.
- Cover and chill 4 to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Uncover casserole and bake 50 to 55 minutes or until center is set. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh basil, if desired.
Southern Living, DECEMBER 2008