I love these cute — and delicious — Meyer Lemon Mini Pound Cakes by Martha Stewart. They do look very Martha, don’t they? These little cakes have a rich, dense texture and the glaze is a lot like clotted cream — maybe they should be served with English tea? Regardless, they would make a pretty dessert for a bridal tea, luncheon, or any special occasion. Enjoy!
Tip: Use a mini loaf pan like this one found at Walmart (they also have Wilton paper cup liners to fit the shape) for easier cleanup. I think this recipe could be baked in a regular size loaf pan, but you will want to adjust the cooking time.
- Vegetable-oil cooking spray
- 6 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 sticks, 16 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 11/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest, plus small zest curls for garnish
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, plus 3 tablespoons for brushing
- 3 large eggs
- 11/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds, plus more for garnish
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Preheat oven to 325. Coat eight 21/4-by-4-inch loaf pans with cooking spray or use mini loaf paper liners (Wilton).
Beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add sugar, salt, lemon zest, and lemon juice, and beat until combined. Add eggs, one at a time, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Add flour and poppy seeds, and beat on low speed until just combined. Pour batter into prepared loaf pans, filling almost to the top (about 1/2 cup batter per pan).
Bake until a toothpick inserted into center of cakes comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Immediately brush tops of cakes with lemon juice. Let cool 30 minutes. Unmold and let cool on a wire rack.
Whisk confectioners' sugar, cream, and lemon juice until smooth. Pass through a fine sieve into a bowl. Drizzle cakes with icing (about 2 tablespoons per cake), and garnish with poppy seeds and lemon zest curls.
Adapted from Martha Stewart Weddiings, 2014.