Rustic Sausage Tortellini Soup—with either spicy or mild Italian sausage—is a warm and filling vegetable soup for a chilly day.
I don’t know about you, but I see a big pot of delicious, hearty soup in the weekend forecast to go along with the cold weather that is headed our way! This Rustic Sausage Tortellini Soup is pure comfort food—a delicious blend of vegetables with your choice of either spicy or mild Italian sausage and cheese tortellini. In my opinion, this soup is so much better than minestrone!
Once the cold weather hits, I love making soups for weeknight dinners and enjoy the leftovers for lunch the next day at work. This recipe is perfect for weeknights because there is very little prep required. The best part is that this recipe is all prepared in a single soup pot, so clean up is quick and easy!
Start off by heating up olive oil in the pot for sautéing the onions. Once those are good and tender, add in the sausage and cook until it’s no longer pink and the meat is lightly browned.
From this point, you basically toss in the remaining ingredients and then cook the tortellini right in the soup broth—so simple and so delicious! One thing I love about this recipe is that it is full of veggies like kale, tomatoes, beans, and mushrooms.
I used both white (Northern) beans and light red kidney beans with a mild Italian sausage, although next time I may use all white beans. If you prefer a bit more spice, make the soup with spicy Italian sausage (of course!) and perhaps sprinkle in a dash of red cayenne pepper.
My “taste tester” agreed that this soup should be on the “repeat” list, so that’s a definite win!
What are your favorite Winter soups? Remember, bundle up…it’s going to be chilly out there!
Yields 8 servings
40 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 lb. bulk Italian sausage, mild or spicy
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup baby Portabello mushrooms, sliced
- 32 oz. chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 15-oz. can white (Northern) beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-oz. can light red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 cups kale, removed from stems and roughly chopped
- 9 oz. package cheese tortellini, uncooked
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add diced onions and cook for 5-6 minutes, or until tender. Crumble the Italian sausage into the pot along with the garlic and continue cooking until the sausage is cooked through and lightly browned, stirring frequently. Add mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add chicken broth, tomatoes, beans, and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in kale, then add the uncooked tortellini. Continue cooking until the tortellini is tender, about 8 minutes.
Recipe adapted from Cooking Light