Disclosure: This is a sponsored post, but as always my opinions are 100% my own.
Hot Honey Chicken and Waffles. Light and crispy waffles topped with tasty fried chicken and drizzled with a spicy warm honey. Have mercy!
Hot Honey Chicken and Waffles
Our National Breakfast Month project is winding up this week with my favorite theme — Breakfast for Supper! I love making homemade waffles for any meal and have found that the “light and crispy waffle” recipe that’s printed in the Oster waffle iron booklet is really versatile.
Sometimes when I make waffles, I just toss in pecans or berries and serve them with a side of bacon and maple syrup for supper. But today, I’m sharing a really special breakfast-for-supper-waffle with you — Hot Honey Chicken and Waffles. Have mercy!
What Ingredients do you need for Hot Honey Chicken and Waffles?
The list may look long, but actually the same spices are used both for the hot honey sauce as for the fried chicken. Plus, flour and eggs are used in the waffle batter and for dredging the chicken. I’ve broken it down a bit for you here (and in the recipe card):
- Chicken — I prefer using tenders for this recipe
- Flour mixed with garlic and onion powders — for dredging
- Panko bread crumbs — to add extra crunch
- Eggs whisked with a little water — the “glue” for the breading
Hot Honey Sauce
- Honey — I used Bee Raw Florida Orange Blossom in this recipe
- Sriracha chili paste — to add a little heat
- Salt — enhances flavor in all foods
- Spices — garlic powder and onion powder
- Self-rising flour — no need to add baking powder or salt
- Eggs, separated — the yolks are mixed into the flour with the milk first, then the whites are stiffly beaten and folded in to make the waffles light and fluffy
- Canola or vegetable oil — or melted butter, if you prefer
How do you make Chicken and Waffles?
The simple answer is fry some chicken and cook a batch of waffles. For this dish, though, you do need to do a little multi-tasking so everything is served warm at the same time. Here’s how I did it:
- Dredge and fry the chicken, then place it on a baking sheet in a 300-degree oven to keep it warm.
- Mix together the ingredients for the Hot Honey Sauce (honey, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and Sriracha chili paste) in a small saucepan. Heat until it begins to boil, then reduce heat to low and let the sauce simmer until ready to serve.
- Prepare the waffle batter. If you want to do this ahead of time, this waffle batter is pretty forgiving and can be mixed up and kept in the fridge until you’re ready to cook. Just give it a gentle stir when you’re ready to start the waffle cooking.
- Preheat the waffle iron and brush the plates with a little oil.
- Cook the waffles. As they come off the irons, top each with a couple of the fried chicken tenders and drizzle with hot honey sauce.
You might also enjoy these chicken recipes:
- Easy Oven Baked Chicken Shawarma by Healthy Kitchen 101
- Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas
- Chicken Cutlets with Olives and Fingerling Potatoes
To make this recipe you may need…
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliate sites.
I’ve had my Oster non-stick waffle iron since John and I got married eons ago and it’s still going strong — just like us! Waffles release easily and clean-up is a breeze!
What else is new? Check out my Life, Love, and Good Food Store on Amazon! Thanks so much for being a part of our community!
Hot Honey Chicken and Waffles Recipe
The big job with this recipe is frying the chicken, so I like to get that done and put the chicken in a warm oven while I cook the waffles. That way, as soon as the waffles come off the hot irons, you’re ready to top them with the warm chicken and yummy hot honey sauce.
Your shares are how this site grows and I appreciate each one. Do you know someone who would enjoy this recipe? I’d love it if you would share it on Facebook or on your favorite Pinterest board! AND…if you like this recipe, please do me a favor and give it a 5-star rating!
- 1 lb. chicken tenders or 2 chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 3/4 cup flour, either all-purpose or self-rising
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
Hot Honey Sauce
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha chile paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1/3 cup oil
- 2 egg whites, stiffly beaten
- Rinse chicken and pat dry with paper towels.
- Combine flour, onion powder and garlic powder in a shallow dish. In a second shallow dish, whisk together the eggs and water. Place Panko bread crumbs in a third shallow dish.
- Dredge each piece of chicken in the flour mixture, shaking off the excess. Next, dip the chicken into the egg mixture, and then roll in the Panko crumbs. Set aside.
- In a heavy skillet, add about 1/2 inch of oil and heat over medium heat. Fry chicken tenders about 3-4 minutes on each side or until done and golden. Drain well on paper towels. (Heat oven to 200 degrees and keep chicken warm until waffles are cooked.)
Hot Honey Sauce
- Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil and immediately reduce heat to low. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- Preheat waffle maker, first coating irons with baking spray.
- Beat egg whites until stiff; set aside
- Combine all other ingredients in a large bowl and mix at low speed until moistened. Increase speed to medium and mix until smooth. Gently fold in egg whites.
- Cook batter on hot irons, using about 1/2 cup per waffle (or the recommended amount for your waffle iron) until golden, approximately 3-4 minutes.
- Serve waffles topped with 2-3 fried chicken tenders and drizzled with hot honey sauce.
Waffle recipe by [Oster (waffle maker instruction manual).
If you want to prepare the waffle batter ahead of time, it can be mixed up and kept in the fridge until you're ready to cook. Just give it a gentle stir when you're ready to start the waffle cooking.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 700Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 149mgSodium: 1430mgCarbohydrates: 85gFiber: 3gSugar: 20gProtein: 33g
Sheila Thigpen, author of The 5-Ingredient Fresh and Easy Cookbook, is a recipe developer, food photographer, and food writer. She spent 20+ years as a business manager in the publishing industry before she retired in 2018 to focus on her passions — cooking, photography, and writing. A Southern girl living near the beautiful Smoky Mountains, Sheila and her husband have two adult daughters, are active in their church, love to travel, and are over-the-moon excited about becoming grandparents last year. Follow Sheila on YouTube, Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter!
Be sure to check out my #hotforbreakfast partners and their amazing recipes: Jess at 104 Homestead – Jami at An Oregon Cottage – Susannah at Feast & West – Kathie at Homespun Seasonal Living – Tessa at Homestead Lady – Chris at Joybilee Farm – Lynda at Me & My Pink Mixer – Annie at Montana Homesteader – Angi at Schneiderpeeps
The following companies generously sponsored various #hotforbreakfast month projects. I may not have used all of them in my recipes, but this project is in no small part thanks to them and their incredible contributions: Bee Raw, Bob’s Red Mill, Made in Nature, Maple Valley Syrup Cooperative, Now Foods, Pacific Foods, & Woodstock.