Italian Bread Pudding is a breakfast casserole like no other. Forget about using day-old French bread with this recipe. Instead, start with a package of frozen Mozzarella and Monterey Jack TEXAS Toast. You heard that right–Mozzarella and Monterey Jack TEXAS Toast. Crazy, right?
Cube the toast and layer in a casserole dish with more cheese, tomatoes, bacon, then top with the egg mixture. Cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours to let the bread soak up all that goodness. The next morning, just pop it in the oven and bake for a delicious weekend breakfast. I made my casserole with bacon, but Italian sausage would also be a good choice. And, if you want to lighten up the dish just a little, go for the garlic Texas Toast instead of the cheesy kind. Enjoy, friends!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 50 minutes
Chill Time 4 hours
Total Time 5 hours 5 minutes
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground red pepper
- 1 9.5-oz. package frozen mozzarella-and-Monterey Jack cheese Texas toast, chopped
- 3 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 8 cooked bacon slices, chopped
- 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- Garnish: fresh basil leaves
- Whisk together milk and spices; set aside.
- Lightly grease an 11x7 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Layer half of the bread cubes in bottom of dish and top with half the tomatoes, bacon, and cheese. Repeat the layers then pour milk-egg mixture all over top.
- Cover and chill 4 to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Uncover casserole and bake 50 to 55 minutes or until center is set. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh basil, if desired.
Southern Living, DECEMBER 2008
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 422Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 236mgSodium: 1133mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 29g