Parmesan-Herb Cornbread Pudding is Southern buttermilk cornbread that is “twice-baked” with Parmesan cheese and fresh thyme in a savory bread pudding. Best fresh from the oven, plan on making this side dish the next time you’re serving a crowd. I guarantee they will love it–just ask my small group! What’s not to love about buttery, cheesy cornbread?
Although I normally bake my cornbread in a cast-iron skillet, this time I tried my new deep dish baker from Pampered Chef. I love this stoneware!
Tip: This recipe makes enough for 8 servings. We had a few left-overs, but this bread pudding was definitely better the first time around so make it when you are serving a larger group. Enjoy!
- 1 cup plain yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 5 large eggs
- 1 cup 4 oz. shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk together remaining ingredients (except for butter) and stir into the cornmeal mixture just until combined. Stir in melted butter and pour batter into a hot 10-inch cast iron skillet or baking dish.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden and cornbread pulls away from sides of skillet. Invert cornbread onto a wire rack and cool before cutting into cubes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut cooled cornbread into 1- to 2-inch cubes and place in baking dish lightly coated with cooking spray.
- Cook butter with thyme over medium heat, stirring constantly, until butter begins to lightly brown. Remove from heat and which in milk, sugar, salt, and eggs. Pour mixture over cornbread and let stand 10 minutes. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 30 more minutes, or until light golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Recipe by Southern Living, September 2014
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:8 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 506Total Fat: 33gSaturated Fat: 20gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 241mgSodium: 1522mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 2gSugar: 7gProtein: 18g