Fresh ginger and a trio of bell peppers in this Pepper Steak Stir-Fry result in loads of flavor and a colorful entrée for your dinner table.
Just recently, we discovered the phenomenal difference using fresh ginger root instead of ground ginger makes in our favorite salad dressing and stir fry recipes. Yes, this food blogger must confess that even if a recipe called for fresh ginger root, I substituted ground ginger because I always had it in my pantry (thinking it didn’t really matter). Well, let me just tell you…take one taste of this Pepper Steak Stir-Fry made with fresh ginger root and you’ll become a believer like me!
This easy recipe starts with a trio of beautiful bell peppers in red, yellow, and green, but feel free to use orange bell peppers or a combination of just two instead of three colors. The peppers are stir fried for a few minutes with green onion, garlic, and the fresh ginger root. Get yourself ready for a delicious aroma as you prepare this dish!
Slice a one-pound lean sirloin steak across the grain into thin strips and then allow it to marinate for 15 minutes before stir frying, or “flash frying”. I love how fast this recipe comes together and also love that this cooking method always results in very tender meat.
Do you ever wonder how people discover things like ginger root? John and I went hiking a couple of weeks ago along the River Bluff Trail in Norris Dam State Park when the wildflowers were in full bloom.
I had my camera and was snapping away along the trail. Other than trillium, I had no idea what we were seeing until a few real wildflower enthusiasts started pointing out trout lilies, Dutchman’s breeches, and GINGER ROOT! (Don’t worry…I didn’t dig up my own ginger root, haha!).
More stir fry recipes!
Generally speaking, stir fry recipes are a healthier dinner option and are a great way to incorporate more veggies into your meal. Here are a few of my favorites:
Pepper Steak Stir Fry Recipe
I sometimes like serving Pepper Steak Stir-Fry over quinoa instead of rice—it’s always a good idea to add in a few healthy alternatives here and there!
Pepper Steak Stir-Fry
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1/8 teaspoon coarsely-ground black pepper (or more/less to taste)
PEPPER STEAK INGREDIENTS:
- 1 lb. sirloin steak (cut diagonally across the grain into thin strips)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 large red bell pepper (thinly sliced)
- 1/2 large yellow bell pepper (thinly sliced)
- 1/2 large green bell pepper (thinly sliced)
- 2 green onions (sliced and divided)
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger (minced)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- In a small bowl, whisk together all the marinade ingredients. Pork over sliced sirloin in a large ziplock bag. Seal the bag and shake gently to coat all the meat. Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large wok or skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté the peppers and the white part of the green onions, ginger, and garlic for about 3 minutes. Remove to a plate.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil to the wok and add half of the marinated steak, reserving the marinade. Stir fry 2 to 3 minutes until browned; transfer to the plate. Repeat with the remaining steak; and again transfer to the plate.
- Pour the reserved marinade into the wok. Cook and stir until thickened, about 1 minute. Add the previously cooked ingredients and stir. Cook a couple of minutes until heated through. Add the green onion tops and give it one more stir.
- Serve immediately over rice or quinoa.