Santa will be especially jolly if you leave a plate of these Peppermint Crunch Chocolate Chip Cookies under the tree on Christmas Eve! A variation on the original Tollhouse chocolate chip cookie, this recipe will likely become a yearly tradition around our house.
Tips: My first time baking these, I added more flour (as noted in the recipe) to help the cookies keep their shape during baking because my first batch spread a bit too much in the oven. Adding flour solved the problem. After baking, leave cookies on the pan about five minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Be careful, these cookies are addictive…enjoy!
Peppermint Crunch Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 cups self-rising flour may add more as needed
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup crushed peppermint candies or candy canes processed into coarse crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine butter, margarine, sugars, salt and peppermint extract until well blended, but not whipped. Stir in flour in 1 cup increments. The batter should not be sticky. Add more flour to achieve smoothness. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Scoop onto cookie sheet, 12 per sheet. Press peppermint candy on the tops of each cookies.
- Bake 10-13 minutes or until light tan and puffy.
- Yield: About 4 dozen cookies