My girls’ weekend in Nashville included a visit to the famous Loveless Cafe and my first taste of their delectable Southern biscuits. These were some of the BEST biscuits I’ve ever tasted, and I’ve tasted quite a few! I came home with a package of the Loveless biscuit mix, but was afraid making them at home would never quite measure up. However, I was brave enough to use the mix to make the Spiced Pumpkin Scones found on the Loveless Cafe blog.
The Loveless has been serving fried chicken and biscuits for more than sixty years, and although the cafe has changed ownership several times, Annie Loveless’ biscuit recipe has remained the same. Once you’re seated, a plate of warm biscuits and a variety of homemade jams and jellies are served right up. The biscuit baking never stops. This restaurant serves between 4,000 – 7,000 biscuits every day. That’s a lot of dough!
Now, about these scones. The dough is made with the Loveless Cafe Biscuit Mix, butter and heavy cream, pumpkin puree, pecans, spices, and the secret ingredient — mini marshmallows. I don’t know if you’ll get the same results from other biscuit mixes, but you can order this ingredient along with other items from the Loveless Cafe online store.
I adapted the original recipe just a little because I didn’t have spiced pecans. Instead, I just used regular pecans and added some pumpkin pie spice and then was very generous with my sprinkling of brown sugar on the tops before baking.
These scones are just sweet enough and have a lovely texture. They’d be perfect with a cup of coffee on a crisp Fall morning. Enjoy!
- 3 cups Loveless Cafe Biscuit Mix
- 3 tablespoons + 3/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 6 1/2 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 1/2 cups pecans, chopped
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift together biscuit mix, sugar, salt and spices into the bowl of a stand mixer. Cube butter and add to bowl. Mix with the blade attachment and incorporate until the mixture looks like fine granules.
- Add heavy cream, egg yolk and pumpkin puree and blend just until combined -- DO NOT over mix. Fold in pecans and mini marshmallows with a wooden spoon.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and pat gently into a log that is 1-inch thick and cut into triangles.
- Place scones on a parchment-lined baking sheet and sprinkle with brown sugar. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
Recipe adapted from Loveless Cafe
Serving Size:1 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 272 Total Fat: 23g Saturated Fat: 9g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 13g Cholesterol: 49mg Sodium: 360mg Carbohydrates: 16g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 7g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 3g