All you need is a piping hot bowl of soup and a healthy slice of Peppery Cheese Bread to make a delicious winter supper. This quick bread is super simple to make and can be made from ingredients that you probably already have on hand. With just the right amount of spice, it makes a great compliment to red bean chili or taco soup. If you want to kick it up a notch, try adding a chopped jalapeño pepper to the batter. I think this bread is best served warm straight from the oven, but my family also likes to slice and toast any leftovers. Enjoy!
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 8-ounce container plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese, or more!
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly grease bottom of a 9- x 5-inch loaf pan.
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl; make a well in center of mixture. Stir together eggs and next 6 ingredients; add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
- Pour batter into the loafpan.
- Bake at 350° for 45 to 50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes; remove from pan, and let cool 1 hour on wire rack.
Southern Living, December 2004.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 304Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 50mgSodium: 392mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 1gSugar: 6gProtein: 8g