This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
No time for anything other than cold cereal for your weekday breakfast? Plan ahead by making a batch of delicious Gluten-Free Sausage Egg Muffins! Gluten-Free Sausage Egg Muffins are savory, a little cheesy, and have a quiche-like texture.
Plus, these sausage and egg muffins are lower in carbs making them a great keto breakfast option! Individual servings can be reheated in the microwave in just 30 seconds and taste as good as they do straight from the oven!
This breakfast egg muffin cup recipe was adapted from a breakfast cookie recipe by adding cottage cheese to give a creamier, quiche-like texture.
Gluten-Free Sausage Egg Muffins
Let’s face it. I am not that person who gets up early to cook breakfast before heading out to work each day. It’s just not going to happen — just ask my husband.
Even so, I get tired of the same old routine of eating cold cereal or grabbing a bagel on the way to work.
I know…getting up just 15 minutes earlier would fix all that, but for me that’s easier said than done!
To break up our boring breakfast routine, I decided to try this recipe for Gluten-Free Sausage Egg Muffins made with almond flour that my daughter (the queen of weekly meal prep) shared with me a few weeks ago.
A young professional, our daughter is diligent about planning her weekly menu and doing meal prep on weekends, especially for breakfasts, lunches, and snacks. This saves time and money and results in making healthier choices overall. There’s nothing bad to say about that!
Making Gluten-Free Sausage Egg Muffins
This is a super simple recipe that is made even simpler with a couple of shortcuts!
- Use pre-cooked turkey sausage crumbles. Not only is turkey sausage healthier than pork sausage, I think the Jimmy Dean brand of pre-cooked crumbles is really tasty.
- Steam the veggies in the microwave. For most recipes, I pull out my sauté pan and cook onions and peppers in a little olive oil. To cut the prep time in half, place the chopped onions and peppers in a microwave-safe bowl with a little water, cover with wax paper, and microwave for 30-45 seconds.
- Combine all ingredients into one large bowl. Stir all the ingredients together until the almond flour is moist and then scoop evenly into a 12-cup muffin pan and top with extra cheddar cheese.
Why gluten free?
As I said, you won’t normally find gluten-free recipes on my blog, but sometimes I do get requests from friends for recipes that are low-carb, gluten-free, or keto.
Although my family doesn’t have a health concern that necessitates we follow a particular diet, incorporating some of these recipes into our weekly meal plan just makes sense.
More gluten-free breakfast recipes!
Gluten-Free Sausage Egg Muffins
- 1-1/3 cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon lite salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 8 ounces Turkey Sausage Crumbles Fully Cooked Jimmy Dean® Brand
- 6 large eggs
- 1 medium onion (1 cup)
- 1 medium bell pepper (1 cup)
- 2/3 cup cottage cheese
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly spray a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- Place diced onion and peppers in a microwave safe dish and cover with a damp paper towel. Microwave for 30-45 seconds or until cooked and tender. Let cool. (You may saute the veggies in a little olive oil on the stovetop instead, but I like this quick, no-mess trick.)
- In a large bowl, whisk together the almond flour, salt, pepper, and baking powder. Add the package of turkey sausage crumbles, lightly beaten eggs, onions, and peppers. Stir gently. Next, then add the cottage cheese and 2/3 cup cheddar cheese and stir until incorporated.
- Spoon mixture into the prepared muffin pan using a 1/3 cup measure. Divide and sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese on top of each muffin.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes, then gently loosen with a knife and remove from the pan.
- Store leftovers tightly covered in the refrigerator. Reheat a single muffin in the microwave for 30 seconds.