Gluten-Free Sausage Egg Muffins are savory, a little cheesy, and have a quiche-like texture. Plus, they are lower in carbs!
No time for anything other than cold cereal for your weekday breakfast? Plan ahead by making a batch of delicious Gluten-Free Sausage Egg Muffins! Individual servings can be reheated in the microwave in just 30 seconds and taste as good as they do straight from the oven!
Let’s face it. I am not that person who gets up early and cooks breakfast before heading out to work each day. It’s just not going to happen—just ask my husband. Even so, I get tired of the same old routine of eating cold cereal or grabbing a bagel on the way to work.
I know…getting up just 15 minutes earlier would fix all that, but for me that’s easier said than done! To break up our boring breakfast routine, I decided to try this recipe for Gluten-Free Sausage Egg Muffins made with almond flour that my daughter (the queen of weekly meal prep) shared with me when we were visiting her in Nashville a few weeks ago.
A young professional, our daughter is diligent about planning her weekly menu and doing meal prep on weekends, especially for breakfasts, lunches, and snacks. This saves time and money and results in making healthier choices overall (except when she splurges on Nashville hot chicken, and who can resist that?!).
You won’t normally find gluten-free recipes on my blog, but I love that these muffins are savory, a little cheesy, and have a quiche-like texture. An added bonus is that they are lower in carbs!
Using pre-cooked turkey sausage and steaming the onions and peppers in the microwave cuts the prep time in half. This recipe was adapted from a breakfast cookie recipe by adding cottage cheese to give a creamier, quiche-like texture.
Gluten-Free Sausage Egg Muffins
- 1-1/3 cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon lite salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 8 oz. Turkey Sausage Crumbles Fully Cooked Jimmy Dean® Brand
- 6 eggs
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- 2/3 cup cottage cheese
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly spray a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- Place diced onion and peppers in a microwave safe dish and cover with a damp paper towel. Microwave for 30-45 seconds or until cooked and tender. Let cool. (You may saute the veggies in a little olive oil on the stovetop instead, but I like this quick, no-mess trick.)
- In a large bowl, whisk together the almond flour, salt, pepper, and baking powder. Add the package of turkey sausage crumbles, lightly beaten eggs, onions, and peppers. Stir gently. Next, then add the cottage cheese and 2/3 cup cheddar cheese and stir until incorporated.
- Spoon mixture into the prepared muffin pan using a 1/3 cup measure. Divide and sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese on top of each muffin.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes, then gently loosen with a knife and remove from the pan.
- Store leftovers tightly covered in the refrigerator. Reheat a single muffin in the microwave for 30 seconds.