This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Use up what’s hidden in your pantry and save a trip to the store!
This whole wheat banana bread is made with natural sweeteners and very little fat for a delicious, healthy quick bread. Bake up a loaf today!
Satisfy your baking itch with a warm, fluffy loaf of whole wheat banana bread. All you need is some overripe fruit, a couple of eggs, and a handful of pantry staples to mix this up and get it in the oven.
Even better, you can make this banana bread recipe with honey entirely in one bowl! While I can certainly make quite a mess in the kitchen, it’s nice to not always have a pile of dishes to wash afterward.
I have more tasty quick bread recipes in flavors such as Apple Cinnamon or Chocolate Chip Zucchini. If you’re craving something a bit more savory, try my Peppery Cheese Loaf as an appetizer or easy dinner side.
- Whole wheat flour — Not only is this packed with nutrients, but it adds a hint of nutty flavor to the loaf. It also has more protein than all purpose flour, making baked goods denser and more filling.
- Mashed bananas — For the best flavor, use overripe bananas just before they get too mushy. The peels will be covered with brown spots but shouldn’t be completely dark.
- Olive oil — Helps bind the ingredients together and has a lovely delicate flavor. Feel free to use vegetable or coconut oil if you prefer.
- Honey — Natural sweeteners work just as well as regular sugar and aren’t too overpowering. The fruit will add plenty of sweetness to the batter as well.
- Milk — If you happen to be out, feel free to replace this with water instead. You just need some kind of liquid to help the batter come together.
- Eggs — Be sure to beat these well so your loaf has plenty of lift!
- Vanilla and cinnamon — These add warmth and really bring out the natural sweetness of the fruit.
STEP 1 | Mix the batter
Combine the oil, honey, and milk (or water) first so the honey doesn’t stick to the bottom of the bowl. Then, add the eggs and beat with a whisk to incorporate plenty of air.
Stir in the bananas and vanilla by hand. It helps to mash them a little bit more to get everything well incorporated.
Finally, add the dry ingredients. Mix just until there are no more streaks of flour. Since whole wheat banana bread is already denser than other loaves, you don’t want to create too much gluten.
STEP 2 | Pour into the pan
STEP 3 | Bake and cool
This banana bread recipe with honey takes about an hour to bake. It’s ready when the edges are browned and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Cool in the pan for a few minutes, then slide the loaf out and place it on a wire rack to finish cooling.
You should be able to get one cup mashed from 3 medium-sized or 2 very large bananas.
Make it sweeter with a handful of chocolate chips or add some crunch with chopped walnuts or pecans! No matter what you choose, keep the amount of mix-ins to 1 cup total.
Absolutely! Divide the batter into a muffin tin, filling each well about two-thirds of the way full. Bake at 325 degrees for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. If you’d like, you can sprinkle old-fashioned oats or raw sugar over the tops along with the cinnamon.
Enjoy this whole wheat banana bread fresh from the oven with a little bit of butter, or slice and toast leftovers for breakfast the next morning!
Too often I think of a dinner idea at work, stop by the grocery store to pick up ingredients (that I’m sure we don’t have), only to find everything I need in the back of my pantry!
Inspired by the idea of reducing waste and using up what I have on hand, I put together this banana bread recipe with honey and whole wheat flour.
Whole Wheat Banana Bread
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup water or milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup mashed bananas
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon plus more to sprinkle on top
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Coat bottom and sides a 9×5 inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine oil, water (or milk), and honey; add eggs and beat well.
- Stir in mashed bananas and vanilla.
- Next, add flour, salt, baking soda and cinnamon, stirring just until combined. Spread batter into the greased loaf pan and sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Bake for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the top comes out clean. Cool in the loaf pan for 5 minutes, then transfer it to a wire rack to cool for 30 minutes before slicing.
About Sheila Thigpen
Recipe Developer, Food Photographer, Food Writer
Sheila Thigpen is the publisher of Life, Love, and Good Food — a Southern food blog — and the author of Easy Chicken Cookbook and The 5-Ingredient Fresh and Easy Cookbook. After 20+ years in the publishing industry, she retired in 2018 to focus on her own creative endeavors full time. She and her husband live near the beautiful Smoky Mountains and have a precious little granddaughter who has stolen their hearts. As an influencer, Sheila has collaborated with brands like Creamette, Kroger, HERSHEY’S, Hamilton Beach, Garafalo Pasta, OXO, Smithfield, Valley Fig Growers, and more.