What more indulgent way to enjoy that abundance of Summer zucchini than baked up in a quick bread studded with chocolate chips? This Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread is super moist, bakes in about 50 minutes, and tastes even better the next day.
A family favorite, this easy quick bread tastes like spice cake with cinnamon and nutmeg, only it is healthier. What a clever way to sneak in a few more veggies, right?
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread makes a delicious coffee break snack, dessert, or breakfast bread.
If you have plenty of zucchini to spare, double this Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread recipe, bake it in two loaf pans, and share one or freeze the extra to enjoy later.
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
Summer is quickly coming to an end, but fresh zucchini is still plentiful and it’s a shame not to put it to good use.
This year, I’ve cooked more with zucchini than ever before. You see, I actually like zucchini, while it’s not my husband’s favorite vegetable. It’s a tug of war around here when I suggest we have grilled zucchini as a side dish when we cook outdoors.
Even so, I’ve managed to squeeze in a few zucchini recipes here and there that he actually enjoyed like my Easy Skillet Vegetable Lasagna and this Summer Squash and Zucchini Casserole. It was cheesy, so that won him over!
It didn’t take quite so much arm twisting to get him to try today’s Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread, though. The zucchini is disguised inside a desert-like loaf and is loaded with chocolate chips, after all!
How to make zucchini bread
This recipe is super simple to prepare and makes just one loaf, which is perfect for our two-person household. It’s simple enough to double the recipe, though, and the bread freezes well, too.
- Dry ingredients. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a large bowl.
- Shred a medium zucchini. Use a box grated to shred the zucchini, peel and all, into another bowl. Some recipes tell you to squeeze out the moisture, but you want to leave it in this recipe.
- Wet ingredients. To the zucchini bowl, add melted butter (no oil in this recipe), sugar, vanilla extract, and eggs.
- Stir it all together. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredient bowl and stir just until moistened. Then, fold in chocolate chips and nuts, if you like. You can use either regular or mini chocolate chips in this recipe.
- Sugar on top. Prepare a loaf pan by coating with cooking spray. I also like to put a piece of parchment paper in the bottom of the pan because sometimes the chocolate chips still want to stick. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle with turbinado sugar. The sugar will bake into a nice crispy, sugary top.
- Bake and cool. Bake at 325 degrees for 50 minutes or so, and let cool completely to room temperature before slicing. This loaf is actually best eaten the next day.
Do you know someone who would enjoy this recipe?
How do you know when zucchini bread is done?
This bread is dense, so be sure to insert a wooden toothpick in the center to test for doneness. The toothpick should come out clean, with no crumbs.
Can you freeze zucchini bread?
Zucchini bread actually freezes very well. Let the baked loaf cool completely before wrapping tightly in plastic wrap. To freeze, place the wrapped loaf inside a large resealable freezer bag or wrap in a layer of heavy duty aluminum foil. Zucchini bread can be frozen for up to 3 months. Defrost overnight in the refrigerator.
How long does zucchini bread last?
Zucchini bread wrapped tightly in plastic wrap and stored at room temperature will stay fresh and moist for 4 to 5 days.
Remember, with quick breads too much mixing or stirring will make the texture tough and chewy. Once you add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stir together gently just until all the dry ingredients are moistened.
Don’t worry about stirring until the batter is smooth—some lumps are just fine!
After the zucchini bread comes out of the oven, allow it to cool for 10 minutes in the pan on a wire rack before removing. After the loaf has cooled completely, wrap it in plastic wrap and store on the kitchen counter until ready to serve.
Did you like this recipe?
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup grated zucchini (one medium)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts or pecans, optional
- 3 tablespoons turbinado sugar, optional
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Coat an 8x4 inch loaf pan with cooking spray and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Slice off the stem from the zucchini and, using a box grater, grate it into a medium bowl (do not peel). Stir in the sugar, eggs, butter, and vanilla until well combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir just until all the dry ingredients are moistened. Fold in the chocolate chips and nuts (if using) and pour into the prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle the top with the turbinado sugar (if using) and bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let cool for 10 minutes in the pan on a wire rack before removing from the pan. Let the load cool completely on wire rack before slicing and serving.
Recipe adapted from Once Upon a Chef
To store, wrap tightly in plastic wrap and leave at room temperature for 4 to 5 days.
To freeze, allow the baked loaf cool completely before wrapping tightly in plastic wrap. To freeze, place the wrapped loaf inside a large resealable freezer bag or wrap in a layer of heavy duty aluminum foil. Zucchini bread can be frozen for up to 3 months. Defrost overnight in the refrigerator.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 321Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 62mgSodium: 199mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 2gSugar: 24gProtein: 5g