Adjust the heat to your tastes by adding more roasted jalapeño peppers to this lightened up Baked Jalapeño Pimento Cheese.
Baked Jalapeño Pimento Cheese
Happy Friday, friends! It’s shaping up to be a fantastic day—Fall crispness is in the air, it’s a football weekend, and it’s my last day at work before our VACAY begins! Yep, there’s a little happy dance going on over here! 🙂
Before we head out of town, I just had to share this recipe for lightened-up Baked Jalapeño Pimento Cheese.
It’s a perfect dip for your tailgate or football party as it is delicious either warm or cold and the bonus is that this version has less fat than traditional pimento cheese.
If you typically shy away from spicy jalapeño recipes, don’t let that keep you from trying this dip. Roasting the jalapeños makes them really mild and adds almost a smoky flavor to this dip.
Then again, if you prefer more spice, you can adjust the heat by doubling the amount of jalapeños and leaving in a few of the seeds (that’s where most of the heat is in the pepper).
Using Greek yogurt cream cheese as a base not only saves on calories and fat, but also gives this dip some creamy goodness!
This recipe is pretty versatile, too. Mix it up by adding different cheeses, maybe a few green chilies or scallions, and if you’re not concerned about calories or fat, toss in some bacon bits!
Just to be fancy, I halved a jalapeño pepper lengthwise, removed the seeds, and placed it on top of the dip before baking as a garnish. Also, if you’re serving this to a group, it alerts everyone that it’s not your normal pimento cheese 😉
- 2-3 Jalapeño peppers, (or more, depending on how much heat you like)
- 8 oz. Greek yogurt cream cheese
- 8 oz. Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded
- 4 oz. Smoky bacon cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup Olive-oil mayonnaise
- 4 oz. diced pimento peppers, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to broil. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and lightly coat with cooking spray. Arrange 2-3 jalapeño peppers on the pan and broil for 10-12 minutes, turning until charred on all sides. (If you want more heat, add more jalapeño peppers.)
- Remove from oven and place peppers in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rest for 10 minutes, then remove skins. Discard the seeds and membranes and dice the peppers. Set aside. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees.
- Add the Greek yogurt cream cheese to a large bowl and beat until creamy with an electric mixer. Add the other cheeses, mayo, and garlic powder. Mix until combined. Stir in the pimentos and jalapeño peppers.
- Spoon mixture into a one-quart baking dish and bake until heated through and bubbly, about 25-30 minutes. Serve immediately with crackers or tortilla chips.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 193Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 401mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 11g
Sheila Thigpen, author of Easy Chicken Cookbook and The 5-Ingredient Fresh and Easy Cookbook, is a recipe developer, food photographer, and food writer. She spent 20+ years as a business manager in the publishing industry before she retired in 2018 to focus on her passions — cooking, photography, and writing. Living near the beautiful Smoky Mountains, Sheila and her husband have two adult daughters and two fine sons-in-law, are active in their church, love to travel, and have a precious little granddaughter who has stolen their hearts. Follow Sheila on YouTube, Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter!