Catalina Salad is a simple salad with plenty of crunch. Chopped iceberg lettuce tossed with fresh tomatoes, onions, hot chili beans, and plenty of cheddar cheese is topped with crunchy FRITOS® corn chips and Kraft Catalina salad dressing.
The first time I had the pleasure of eating this tasty Catalina Frito Salad, I thought the combination of ingredients seemed a bit strange, but I found that they really worked well together.
This salad takes less than 15 minutes to put together and makes enough to serve a crowd. Make it a hearty meal that stands on its own by adding cooked taco ground beef or chicken.
Catalina Frito Salad
When our girls were little, we were members of a vibrant young couples church group and at least once a month we were gathering together for a picnic, pool party, or game night.
Everyone would bring a pot-luck dish to share and we would enjoy plenty of good food — there were a lot of good cooks in our group! — and plenty of laughter and fun for the adults and kids alike!
Often, a sweet lady from our church would show up at potluck dinners with her signature Frito salad with Catalina dressing. This simple recipe was always the big hit at the potluck!
Armed with a big salad bowl, a large bag of FRITOS®, and a bottle of Kraft Catalina salad dressing, she would laugh and entertain everyone around with her jokes and antics as she tossed the fiesta salad “table-side” just before the meal was served.
During those years, certain recipes would be so popular that they would be requested at every event. Each time I make one of those tried and true recipes, I can’t help but remember the fun times we had with our young families.
- Iceberg lettuce — rinsed and chopped; use a salad spinner to dry the lettuce as much as possible
- Ripe red tomato — use your favorite variety, just be sure it is really ripe for the best flavor!
- Sweet onion or scallions — chopped
- Hot chili beans (canned) — rinsed and drained
- Shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Frito Corn Chips
- Kraft Catalina Salad Dressing
How to make Catalina Taco Salad ahead of time
Catalina Salad is best eaten immediately after it has been tossed together, so follow these tips if you plan to transport the salad to a picnic or potluck and assemble it on site.
- Prep the lettuce—rinse, chop, and dry in a salad spinner—and place in a large bowl with a tight-fitting lid.
- Dice onion and tomatoes and add to the bowl with the lettuce.
- Rinse and drain a can of hot chili beans and place in small bowl with tight fitting lid.
- When ready to serve, add the beans, corn chips, and cheese to the bowl of salad. Pour the entire bottle of Catalina dressing on top and toss until all ingredients are coated. If you do this step too early, the salad and chips will get soggy.
- If you like, finish the salad by adding some fresh ground pepper on top.
What else is new? Check out my Life, Love, and Good Food Store on Amazon! Thanks so much for being a part of our community!
Do you prefer Catalina Salad or Taco Salad?
Cooking a pound of ground beef with taco seasoning and adding to this recipe makes a delicious Mexican Taco Catalina Salad for an easy dinner.
Also, remember this Catalina Salad recipe makes a big ‘ole bowl of salad which makes it perfect for large groups. I think Miss Donna would be proud that I’m sharing her recipe with all of you!
- Fresh Herb Potato Salad — You can’t have an honest-to-goodness, old-fashioned picnic unless there’s a heaping bowl of homemade potato salad on the table.
- Tangy Cole Slaw — Every good Southern cooks needs a solid cole slaw recipe to go along with pulled pork barbecue or fried catfish and hushpuppies.
- Cool Veggie Pizza Appetizer – An oldie, but goody, this Cool Veggie Pizza Appetizer recipe hits it out of the park when it comes to popularity.
- Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole — Chunks of chicken in a creamy sauce with a crunchy topping of Ritz crackers, poppy seeds, and almonds. Pure comfort food!
- Classic Coca-Cola Chocolate Cake — This no-fuss milk chocolate cake is a definite crowd pleaser—it’s ultra-rich, extremely moist, and a chocolate cake lover’s dream!
Catalina Salad with FRITOS® corn chips and Kraft Catalina salad dressing is a big hit at every pot luck or picnic!
Did you like this recipe?
- 1 head lettuce, cut in layers, then chopped
- 1 large tomato,, diced
- 1 large sweet onion,, diced
- 1 can hot chili beans,, drained and rinsed
- 12 oz. sharp cheddar cheese,, shredded
- 1 9-1/4 oz. bag Fritos corn chips
- 1 cup Kraft Catalina salad dressing
- Toss together all salad ingredients except for the Fritos and Catalina dressing. Chill until ready to serve.
- Just before serving add the Fritos, partly crushed, and toss with 1 cup Catalina dressing (add more dressing, if desired). Serve immediately.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 484Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 3gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 42mgSodium: 911mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 4gSugar: 13gProtein: 15g
Sheila Thigpen, author of Easy Chicken Cookbook and The 5-Ingredient Fresh and Easy Cookbook, is a recipe developer, food photographer, and food writer. She spent 20+ years as a business manager in the publishing industry before she retired in 2018 to focus on her passions — cooking, photography, and writing. Living near the beautiful Smoky Mountains, Sheila and her husband have two adult daughters and two fine sons-in-law, are active in their church, love to travel, and have a precious little granddaughter who has stolen their hearts. Follow Sheila on YouTube, Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter!