In this Grilled Panzanella Skewer Salad, nutty arugula is topped with a skewer of grilled tomatoes and multigrain croutons and dressed with a de-lite-ful mustard vinaigrette.
I am proud to be partnering with Thrive® Algae Oil to bring you this tasty recipe! As always, all opinions are 100% my own.
At our house once Spring and Summer arrive we literally grill ALL THE TIME, and sometimes we even get our grill on to make salads! Yep, you heard that right! Salad on the grill. In this Grilled Panzanella Skewer Salad, nutty arugula is topped with a skewer of grilled tomatoes and multigrain croutons and is dressed with a de-lite-ful mustard vinaigrette. Besides being delicious, this salad is so simple, so quick, and so beautiful on your plate!
Start with a loaf of multigrain bread and cut enough one-inch slices to cube into about 40 large croutons (probably about half of the loaf). Alternately skewer the croutons and tomatoes until you have eight skewers (each should have 4-5 pieces of bread and 3-4 tomatoes). Set these aside while you prepare the vinaigrette.
My mustard vinaigrette has a secret ingredient—Thrive® ALGAE Oil. If you’ve been following along recently, you know that I’ve been making a real effort to incorporate more heart healthy recipes into my diet to address a slightly elevated BP. So, when Earth Fare and Thrive® Algae Oil reached out to me and asked if I’d be interested in trying out Thrive® Algae Oil, which has the highest levels of monounsaturated fat—the good fat that is more heat stable—and lowest levels of saturated fat of any cooking oil, I was intrigued. I’ve got to admit that if I hadn’t been addressing my own BP issue I probably would not have even thought about using ALGAE oil. I mean, algae oil is from seaweed, right? Wrong! Unlike algae typically found in the sea, the algae used to make Thrive® was originally sourced from the sap of a chestnut tree.
Let me just say, this skeptic is a believer now. Besides making a tasty vinaigrette, Thrive®Algae Oil, which has a light, neutral taste, is great for other cooking occasions because of its high smoke point, which means it doesn’t burn at high temperatures. Also, it doesn’t require as much oil in the pan for sautéing, either.
Use a couple of tablespoons of the vinaigrette to brush on the skewered bread and tomatoes, then use the rest to toss with the arugula. Grill the skewers until the bread is lightly toasted on all sides, turning frequently.
Add the grilled skewers to the tossed salad and garnish with some shaved Parmesan cheese and freshly ground black pepper and serve—it’s delish and good for you!
The good news is that Thrive Algae Oil is now available at my local Earth Fare.
- 5 cups arugula (10 oz. pre-washed pkg.)
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1/2 loaf multigrain bread
- 2 tablespoons shaved Parmesan cheese (for garnish), `
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons Thrive® Algae Oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Soak 8 bamboo skewers in water for at least 30 minutes. Preheat grill to medium heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, mustard and garlic. Add the Thrive® Algae Oil and whisk briskly until emulsified. Add salt and pepper and whisk once more; set aside.
- Slice the loaf into 1-inch slices and then into cubes that are slightly larger than the tomatoes. Alternately add the bread cubes and tomatoes to the skewers and place on a platter. Brush the skewers with the vinaigrette (using about 2 tablespoons).
- Grill the skewers over direct heat for about 5 minutes, turning frequently until the bread is toasted. Remove from heat.
- Toss the arugula with the remaining vinaigrette. For each serving, place two skewers on top of the greens and garnish with shaved Parmesan cheese and more freshly ground black pepper, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 203Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 251mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 2gSugar: 10gProtein: 3g