Greek Heirloom Tomato Salad: Use a variety of yellow, green, and red cherry tomatoes (or heirloom tomatoes) in this five-minute summery-fresh, Greek-style salad with capers and Feta cheese.
Garden fresh tomatoes make all the difference in the world when it comes to Summer salads, and now that they are in season, it’s the perfect time to enjoy this simple Greek Heirloom Tomato Salad. Dressed simply with a good quality extra-virgin olive oil, toss together a mixture of red, yellow, and green cherry tomatoes (or use heirloom tomatoes) with fresh herbs, capers, and Feta cheese and you have a tasty and gorgeous dish in just five minutes!
Until our vacation this year, I couldn’t be convinced that there was any other tomato that compared to an East Tennessee Grainger County Tomato. But, then I feasted on Caprese salads all across Italy and found that the tomatoes in that region are equally delicious, especially when drizzled with olive oil. I couldn’t bring home tomatoes as souvenirs, but I did manage to make it back with some olive oil from Sicily, which I purchased in the beautiful seaside village of Taormina.
I was drawn into the shops with regional foods—pastas, spices, olive oils—and wished I could bring home a full shopping cart to enjoy after our trip!
I settled on purchasing Sicilian olive oil which is made from olive trees grown in the rich volcanic soil of the region. Very fragrant and appetizing, Italians serve it drizzled on Caprese salads, bread, pasta, and fish.
Keeping it simple, I used some of my olive oil to make a Greek Heirloom Tomato Salad from some beautiful cherry tomatoes I found at Costco. Using capers and Feta cheese lends a bit of Greek flavor to this light and colorful salad.
You may also enjoy these fresh Summer salads featuring tomatoes:
- Grilled Asparagus Panzanella Salad. A panzanella salad that features grilled asparagus, fresh tomatoes, and a tangy red wine vinaigrette for the perfect combination of flavors.
- Grilled Panzanella Skewer Salad. This time, nutty arugula is topped with a skewer of grilled tomatoes and multigrain croutons and dressed with a de-lite-ful mustard vinaigrette.
- Espresso Caprese Salad is topped off with a thick, velvety aged espresso-infused balsamic vinegar for an indulging Summer appetizer.
- Spinach Stuffed Tomatoes. Fresh spinach and “cocktail” tomatoes pair together perfectly in these Spinach Stuffed Tomatoes for a colorful, healthy bite-size appetizer.
Use a variety of yellow, green, and red cherry tomatoes (or heirloom tomatoes) in this summery-fresh and colorful Greek-style salad with capers and Feta cheese.
- 2 lbs. mixed cherry tomatoes or heirloom tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons Feta cheese crumbles
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Rinse and drain tomatoes. If using cherry tomatoes, slice each in half. If using normal-size heirloom tomatoes, cut into bite quarters or bite-size chunks. Place tomatoes in a shallow bowl lined with paper towels and sprinkle with salt. Allow to drain while chopping the herbs.
In a large bowl, toss tomatoes with the capers and chopped herbs. Drizzle with olive oil and toss gently. Sprinkle with Feta cheese and season with freshly black pepper. Serve immediately at room temperature.