There’s nothing as soothing as a piping-hot bowl of homemade soup, especially once the weather starts turning cooler. Today’s Creamy Tomato Soup with Peppery Parmesan Cornbread Croutons is a really simple — and quick — made-from-scratch recipe featuring fresh tomatoes (duh!), other veggies and spices, and low-sodium chicken broth. Not only is it delicious, it’s on the healthier side, too! An added bonus is that this soup can be ready in 30-40 minutes, start to finish. That makes for some easy dinner prep!
I’ve adapted the original Cooking Light recipe by adding a little cream because I like my tomato soup creamy, but if you want to save a few calories, leave out the cream — this soup will still be delicious. I like topping my soup with Peppery Parmesan Cornbread Croutons, shredded Parmesan cheese, and basil.
Tip: At the end of cooking, to make this soup smooth and creamy you’ll need to blend the ingredients. Using an immersion blender would work great, but since I don’t own one of those nifty tools, these recipe directions are written for using a countertop blender. Either way, be careful when blending hot soup. Enjoy!
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 pounds tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 8.5 oz. pkg. Jiffy corn muffin mix
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cream; add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place half of soup in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Pour into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining tomato mixture.
- Ladle into bowls and serve with cornbread croutons; garnish with thinly sliced basil and shredded Parmesan cheese, if desired.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease bottom of 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Stir together corn muffin mix, egg, milk, Parmesan cheese, and the coarse ground black pepper.
- Spread into prepared pan and bake 15 minutes. Cool; then cut into 1 inch squares and place in large bowl.
- Gently toss squares with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Pour onto a baking sheet and sprinkle with more Parmesan cheese and pepper, if desired. Bake for 15 -20 minutes, stirring midway, until golden brown and crispy. Allow to cool.
Adapted from Cooking Light
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 269Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 62mgSodium: 438mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 3gSugar: 11gProtein: 8g