If you’re snowed in there’s nothing more comforting than a hearty bowl of homemade soup. Italian Potato Broccoli Soup is a creamy, filling soup recipe that’s really versatile because several ingredients can be substituted and you’ll still end up with a yummy meal.
It all begins by sautéing onion, garlic, and proscuitto in a little olive oil (or diced ham or diced kielbasa–even bacon–see what I mean?). Tip: If you use bacon, drain off any extra grease before adding the other ingredients. Then, follow the recipe directions by adding in diced potatoes and chicken broth, a little milk or heavy cream. Again, you may use all chicken broth for a healthier soup, or use more milk or cream for a creamier soup.
Cook the potatoes, then add in the broccoli for the last five minutes of cooking. Stir in sharp cheddar cheese–or the cheese of your choice–and buon appetito!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 oz. diced prosciutto or diced ham
- 4-5 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 bunch broccoli, florets removed from stem and halved
- 3 cups chicken broth, may use 4 cups chicken broth and no milk
- 1 cup milk or heavy cream
- 4 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- parsley flakes, for garnish
- In a dutch oven or soup pot over medium low heat, saute diced onion, garlic, and proscuitto in olive oil for about 5 minutes or until veggies are tender and proscuitto begins to crisp. Be careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add potatoes, chicken broth and milk or heavy cream. Bring to a gentle boil; reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- With a slotted spoon, remove 1-2 cups of the mixture and mash with a potato masher or with the back of a wooden spoon. Stir back into the soup.
- Add broccoli florets, salt, and pepper and cook for another five minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cheddar cheese until melted.
- Garnish soup with Parmesan cheese and parsley flakes, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 388Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 65mgSodium: 2181mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 24g