Easy Brunswick Stew with pulled pork or chicken has everything you need to serve up a hearty, filling meal to feed a group of hungry folks.
One-pot meals are the best, and one-pot slow cooker meals are even better! There’s nothing more satisfying than dumping ingredients into the slow cooker before leaving for work and returning home to the aroma of a delicious, no-fuss dinner. One of my favorite slow-cooker meals is Easy Brunswick Stew which I first shared over at The Weary Chef. This stew gets a jump start with take-out pulled pork or chicken from your local barbecue restaurant.
I originally found this recipe in Southern Living magazine a few years ago, but have made a few changes that make this stew a really quick and easy meal to pull together. Instead of cooking a pork shoulder (which would need to be shredded before finishing the stew), I like picking up take-out pulled pork (or a mixture of pork and chicken) from my favorite barbecue place.
Besides giving the meat a coarse chop, the only real prep work is chopping an onion and a few red potatoes because the rest of the ingredients come straight from your pantry or freezer. That makes this the perfect weeknight dinner because it’s super simple and requires very little effort!
The stew is tomato-based and flavored with a bottle of barbecue sauce and a little brown sugar. Add frozen veggies — corn, okra, and lima beans — and let the slow cooker do the rest! This recipe makes enough for 8-10 servings, so unless you’re feeding a large crowd you may end up with enough leftovers for lunches throughout the week.
Trust me, this stew is so easy, you can’t mess it up! To complete the meal, serve the stew with a crusty bread, homemade corn muffins, or even hushpuppies — maybe you’ll want to pick up a dozen at the barbecue place!
If you like this recipe, please do me a favor and give it a 5-star rating!
- 1-1/2 pounds pulled BBQ pork, or a mixture of pulled pork and chicken
- 3 medium-size red potatoes,, diced
- 1 large onion,, diced
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 18-ounce bottle barbecue sauce
- 1 14-ounce can chicken broth
- 1 9-ounce package frozen baby lima beans, thawed
- 1 9-ounce package frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup frozen sliced okra,, thawed
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Coarsely chop the meat and place in a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir.
- Cover and cook on LOW 8 to 10 hours (or on HIGH 4 to 5 hours) or until potatoes are fork-tender. Ladle stew into bowls and serve.
Adapted from Southern Living, February 2006
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 534Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 52mgSodium: 2106mgCarbohydrates: 94gFiber: 8gSugar: 55gProtein: 26g