This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
A simple list of ingredients that come together in under an hour!
My easy apple crisp combines lightly spiced apples with a crispy oat pecan topping. Enjoy it fresh out of the oven with a scoop of ice cream!
This homemade apple crisp recipe captures all the best flavors of fall, but it can easily be enjoyed throughout the year. In fact, it’s perfect for last-minute entertaining since the ingredient list consists mostly of pantry staples!
Looking for something a little more show-stopping? Try this rustic tart with an extra flaky crust — it only takes about 30 minutes to put together before it goes in the oven.
Key ingredients & substitutions for Easy Apple Crisp
- Apples — I love the tart flavor of Granny Smith, but Honeycrisp or Fuji are delicious as well. I also like to peel mine, but if you’d rather leave it on, just give your fruit a good wash to remove any dirt or wax.
- Oats — You’ll want the regular old-fashioned variety for this homemade apple crisp recipe — not quick cook or steel cut.
- Pecans — These will get nice and toasty in the oven, so there’s no need to toast them beforehand. Walnuts are a wonderful substitute, or you can substitute extra oats for a nut-free version.
- Use softened butter for the crisp topping for easier blending. Since the amount is so small, I recommend cubing it into the bowl and letting it sit while you peel and slice the apples. It should be good to go by the time you’re done!
How to make this homemade apple crisp recipe?
STEP 1 | Prep the apples
Keep your slices on the thinner side so they become nice and tender when baked. Also, be sure the slices are of even thickness so they have a consistent texture when baked.
STEP 2 | Make the topping
Since the butter is already softened, use a fork or pastry cutter to blend it into the dry ingredients — otherwise, the heat from your fingers will soften it further. It should have a crumbly texture and there should be no more loose flour at the bottom of the bowl.
STEP 3 | Assemble
Toss the apples with lemon juice, sugar, and cinnamon right in your greased baking dish. Spread them into an even layer, then sprinkle the oat topping evenly over the top.
STEP 4 | Bake
When it’s ready, the top will be golden brown and the apples will be tender. If you can’t easily stick a fork into the slices in the center, pop it back in for a few minutes and check again. You may need to cover the top with foil so it doesn’t burn while you wait for the fruit to finish baking.
- 2-quart Baking Dish — This one is my favorite! Not only is it the perfect size for this easy apple crisp, but it works well for small casseroles, scalloped potatoes, or roasted vegetables!
- Pastry blender — Cuts in butter quickly and efficiently while keeping your fingers clean.
- Peeler — Not only does is the handle comfortable in your hand, but it removes the skin off of your produce in seconds.
Frequently asked questions
Choice of fruit really comes down to flavor preference, but it’s important to keep texture in mind as well. Granny Smith are considered the gold standard for apple desserts because the tart flavor balances out the sugar and they hold their shape very well.
Honeycrisp is another popular choice, though it is a bit sweeter. Braeburn, Pink Lady, Jonagold, and Golden Delicious will also hold their shape, and they do well combined with one or two other varietie
Mine measures 10 x 6 and is 2 inches tall, but the standard size is 8 x 8 inches. You could also use a 9-inch round cake pan, but a standard pie dish will be too shallow. I also find that glass or ceramic bakeware works better than metal for this homemade apple crisp recip
Cover tightly with foil or transfer the dessert to an airtight container. It will be good for up to a week in the refrigerator, though the topping will soften over time.
Let the pan sit on the counter for about 30 minutes before reheating in the oven so it doesn’t crack. Or, simply warm individual servings in a microwave.
Add a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream and dig right in! A drizzle of caramel sauce over the top would make this easy apple crisp extra indulgent.
This post is part of Fall Flavors Week, a yearly event to celebrate the best fall ingredients with delicious recipes. Keep scrolling for more fall flavors recipes by my blogging friends below the recipe card.
Easy Apple Crisp
- 1/2 cup uncooked old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- 3 – 4 large Granny Smith apples peeled and thinly sliced, about 5 cups
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, brown sugar, flour, and pecans. Cut the butter into small pieces and add to the flour mixture. Use a fork or pastry blender to combine the mixture until you have coarse crumbs.
- Lightly coat a 2-quart baking dish (10 x 6 x 2-inch) with cooking spray. Add the apples, lemon juice, sugar, and cinnamon to the dish and toss gently to coat.
- Evenly sprinkle the crumb mixture on top of the apples. Bake for 40 – 45 minutes or until the apples are tender and the top is crisp and golden. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
- Use softened butter for the crisp topping for easier blending.
- Store leftovers covered tightly with foil or transfer the dessert to an airtight container. It will be good for up to a week in the refrigerator, though the topping will soften over time.
Welcome to #FallFlavors where more than 25 food bloggers are sharing recipes with favorite Fall flavors. Our sponsors, Millican Pecan, Dixie Crystals, Melissa’s Produce, Taylor & Colledge, Nairn’s, and Republic of Tea, have furnished participating bloggers with complimentary product to use in their recipe creations that they will be sharing this week.
These same sponsors have generously offered prizes for our giveaway so be sure to enter and share with your friends so they can enter too. Be sure to follow our Fall Flavors Pinterest account for more inspiration.
More #FallFlavors Recipes Below:
Appetizers and Snacks
- Caramel Pecan Clusters from An Affair from the Heart
- Carrot Top Hummus from Savory Moments
- Fall Charcuterie Board from Magical Ingredients
- Roasted Red Pepper and Crab Savory Cheesecake from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Sweet And Spicy Roasted Nuts from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
Breakfast and Baked Goods
- Apple Cranberry Pecan Overnight Oats from Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Cinnamon Apple Bread from Lemon Blossoms
- Sweet Potato Pancakes from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Soups and Salads
- Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup from Devour Dinner
- Panera Autumn Squash Soup from The Fresh Cooky
- Salmon Salad With Grapes And Pecans from Art of Natural Living
- Apple Butter Dijon Roasted Brussel Sprouts With Candied Pecans And Green Apple from Soulfully Made
- Butternut Squash And Bacon Risotto from SueBee Homemaker
- Loaded Bacon And Kale Salad from Palatable Pastime
- Roasted Maple Bacon Brussels Sprouts And Butternut Squash from Eat Move Make
- Sausage Stuffed Acorn Squash from Hostess At Heart
- Apple Cider Rubbed Pork Chops from That Recipe
- Thai Butternut Squash Curry from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Butternut Squash Parmesan Pasta from Frugal & Fit
- Grape & Gorgonzola Pizza from The Spiffy Cookie
- Honey Dijon Chicken Sheet Pan Dinner from Simple and Savory
- How To Air Fry Pork Tenderloin With Sweet Potatoes from West Via Midwest
- Butter Pecan Fudge from Take Two Tapas
- Cinnamon Roll Cheesecake from Fresh April Flours
- Easy Apple Crisp from Life Love and Good Food
- Espresso Chocolate Chip Cookies from Books n’ Cooks
- French Apple Tart from Jen around the world
- Individual Grape Crumble from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Pumpkin Roll from House of Nash Eats
- Pumpkin Snickerdoodles from Family Around The Table
- Slow Cooker Apple Pear Crisp from Blogghetti
Enter the Fall Flavors giveaway!
- Prize 1: Texas Pecan Candy Basket from Millican Pecan. The Millican Pecan Texas Pecan Candy Basket is loaded with a variety of pecan gifts. Includes 6 Milk Chocolate Pecan Clusters, 6 Milk Chocolate Caramillicans (similar to Turtles), 6 White Chocolate Caramillicans, 6 Pecan Pralines, and a 1/2 lb. Bag of Flavored Pecans! Every bit DELICIOUS! A $75 value.
- Prize 2: Williams Sonoma Cleartouch Nonstick 6-Piece Bakeware Set from Dixie Crystals. Perfect for the occasional baker, our entry-level collection features a sturdy nonstick silicone coating at a great value. Aluminized steel, the material of choice for professional bakers, provides excellent heat transfer for even baking, so food turns out beautifully and releases easily, every time. 6-Piece Set includes: Half-sheet pan, 12-cup muffin pan, round cake pan, square cake pan, rectangular cake pan, loaf pan. An $80 value.
- Prize 3: 3 Month Melissa’s Produce Gift Subscription. A stunning selection of the most delicious produce will be delivered once a month for 3 months. A $124 value.
- Prize 4: A Red Dancing Leaves Teapot and a tin of Hot Apple Cider Tea from The Republic of Tea. Embossed, windswept leaves whirl across this 20 oz ceramic teapot. Includes a stainless steel infuser. An exclusive design by The Republic of Tea. A $44 value.
- Prize 5: A selection of six flavors of Oat Crackers from Nairn’s. One winner will receive a box of each Nairn’s Original, Chocolate Chip, Stem Ginger Oat Grahams, Caramelized Onions, Rosemary & Sea Salt Flatbreads, and Oat Cracker. Minimum $25 value.
- Prize 6: A Selection of extracts from Taylor and Colledge. One winner will receive a selection of extracts to include vanilla bean, almond, lemon, and lavender. Minimum of $25 value.
#Six (6) winners will be randomly selected. The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. Bloggers are not responsible for prize fulfillment. Winners have 24 hours to respond once notified by email, or they forfeit the prize and an alternate winner will be chosen. The #FallFlavors bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members living in the household cannot enter or win the giveaway. Entries will be verified. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Must be 18 years of age or older to enter giveaway and the contest is open only to US residents. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #FallFlavors posts or entries. Thank you to our sponsors Millican Pecan Company, Dixie Crystals, Melissa’s Produce, Taylor & Colledge, Republic of Tea, and Nairn’s for providing prizes.
About Sheila Thigpen
Recipe Developer, Food Photographer, Food Writer
Sheila Thigpen is the publisher of Life, Love, and Good Food — a Southern food blog — and the author of Easy Chicken Cookbook and The 5-Ingredient Fresh and Easy Cookbook. After 20+ years in the publishing industry, she retired in 2018 to focus on her own creative endeavors full time. She and her husband live near the beautiful Smoky Mountains and have a precious little granddaughter who has stolen their hearts. As an influencer, Sheila has collaborated with brands like Creamette, Kroger, HERSHEY’S, Hamilton Beach, Garafalo Pasta, OXO, Smithfield, Valley Fig Growers, and more.