This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
A splash of citrus makes all the difference in these classic Roasted Carrots with Honey.
Elegant and delicious, Roasted Carrots with Honey is seriously one of the easiest side dishes you will ever make!
For this simple recipe, toss the carrots in extra-virgin olive oil and give them a jumpstart by roasting for a few minutes at a high temperature before adding the honey and citrus glaze.
This way, the glazed carrots come out of the oven slightly caramelized, perfectly tender, and with just the right amount of sweetness.
Most often just a common vegetable tossed into soups and stews, the natural sweetness and texture of carrots make them perfect for oven roasting.
Why you are going to love it!
- Delicious flavor. Roasting carrots brings out their natural sweetness.
- Simple ingredients. Only requires a few basic staple ingredients.
- Easy side dish. Pairs well alongside Broccoli Rice and Cheese Casserole, mashed potatoes, or a simple rice pilaf to complete your dinner menu.
Key ingredients and substitutions
- Carrots — either large whole carrots or baby carrots
- Honey — or maple syrup
- Orange — both the juice and zest
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Fresh thyme leaves — for garnish
- Salt and pepper — to enhance the flavor
How to make Honey Roasted Carrots?
STEP 1 | Prep the carrots
Cut off the green tops and peel the carrots (or not) and cut into 3-inch pieces. For larger carrots, cut each piece in half horizontally so that they cook evenly.
If you opt not to peel the carrots, be sure to scrub them to remove any dirt and grit. (Of course, there is no need to peel baby carrots if you are using them instead.)
STEP 2 | Roast the carrots
Place the carrots on a baking sheet and drizzle with the olive oil. Using a rubber spatula, stir until all the carrots are coated. Season with salt and pepper. Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 20 minutes at 400 degrees.
STEP 3 | Glaze and finish
Zest and juice the orange. Stir the juice together with the honey in a small bowl, reserving the orange zest.
Remove the carrots from the oven and drizzle with the honey mixture. Stir well to coat all the carrots and return the baking sheet to the oven for another 20 minutes.
Just before serving, toss the roasted carrots with the reserved orange zest and garnish with fresh thyme leaves.
- Easy zesting — I’ve mentioned before that my microplane zester has become one of my most favorite and essential kitchen gadgets. Not only does it quickly zest lemons and oranges without ending up with any of the bitter white pith, this tool is handy for grating ginger and hard Parmesan cheese — and it’s dishwasher safe!
Frequently asked questions
Even though carrots are quite firm, there’s no need to steam them before roasting — why dirty more than one pot if you don’t have to?
As a personal preference, I always peel my carrots, however the skins are perfectly safe to eat.
Raw whole carrots will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks. Store them in a plastic bag and stock them in your vegetable drawer. Use them for a quick snack, in salads, or cooked in your favorite recipes.
Storing and reheating
Store leftover Roasted Carrots with Honey covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 to 5 days. To reheat, warm them in the microwave or in a pan on top of the stove until steamy.
Roasted Carrots with Honey: behind the recipe
Carrots have always been one of my favorite vegetables — I love them in beef stew! — and they are always a staple in my refrigerator.
Luckily, carrots aren’t just a seasonal vegetable found at holidays like Easter and Christmas, but are readily available at most grocery stores so we can enjoy them year round.
For that very reason, honey roasted carrots are one of my go-to side dishes when I need to round out a meal. They make a delicious accompaniment to pork chops, chicken, or most any main dish, and in this recipe their flavor really shines!
Your shares are how this site grows and I appreciate each one. Do you know someone who would enjoy this recipe? I’d love it if you would share it on Facebook or on your favorite Pinterest board!
Roasted Carrots with Honey
- 2 lb. carrots
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 navel orange
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Peel and cut the carrots into 3-inch pieces. For larger carrots, cut each piece in half horizontally.
- Place the carrots on a baking sheet and drizzle with the olive oil. Using a rubber spatula, stir until all the carrots are coated. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, zest and juice the orange.
- In a small bowl, stir the juice together with the honey, reserving the orange zest.
- Remove the carrots from the oven and drizzle with the honey mixture. Stir to combine and return to the oven for another 20 minutes.
- Garnish the roasted carrots with the reserved orange zest and fresh thyme leaves. Serve immediately.
About Sheila Thigpen
Recipe Developer, Food Photographer, Food Writer
Sheila Thigpen is the publisher of Life, Love, and Good Food — a Southern food blog — and the author of Easy Chicken Cookbook and The 5-Ingredient Fresh and Easy Cookbook. After 20+ years in the publishing industry, she retired in 2018 to focus on her own creative endeavors full time. She and her husband live near the beautiful Smoky Mountains and have a precious little granddaughter who has stolen their hearts. As an influencer, Sheila has collaborated with brands like Creamette, Kroger, HERSHEY’S, Hamilton Beach, Garafalo Pasta, OXO, Smithfield, Valley Fig Growers, and more.