Forget Chinese take-out. This Shrimp Broccoli Stir-Fry that I originally shared over at The Weary Chef is so much more delicious and only takes 30 minutes or less to prepare! I know that planning and cooking dinner after a long day in the office can sometimes seem like a real chore for working Moms and Dads, and believe it or not, even for a full-time career woman and part-time blogger like me! And, it’s on those days that picking up something quick on the way home is so very tempting.
Even when I feel exhausted from a long day, getting in the kitchen and doing a little cooking can actually be a little bit therapeutic, especially if it’s as quick and easy as a stir-fry dinner. Unlike a lot of other stir-fry recipes, Shrimp Broccoli Stir-Fry actually requires very few basic ingredients — shrimp (feel free to use fresh or frozen), broccoli florets, green onions, garlic, and fresh ginger (or substitute ground ginger if you prefer). The sauce is simply a mixture of soy sauce, rice vinegar, honey, and a few red pepper flakes, and at least at my house, all these ingredients are always readily available in my pantry.
We like our stir-fry served over brown rice for a healthier option (as opposed to white rice). I don’t own a rice cooker, so I normally purchase the “quick” rice that cooks in just 5 minutes — again, quick and easy for week nights! Feeling inspired? Dinner really doesn’t have to be a chore! Here are a few shortcuts for making this meal particularly easy and quick:
- Buy shrimp that is already peeled and deveined (cut out that prep work!).
- Use a bag of pre-cut broccoli florets.
- Boil water for the rice first and allow it to steam while you prepare the stir-fry.
- Stage all the ingredients before you start to stir-fry, so that once you get started you can quickly add the next ingredients.
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 1/2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1/4 cup (1-inch) diagonally cut green onions
- 2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup lower-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
Blot shrimp with a paper towel to dry and place in a medium bowl with cornstarch. Toss to coat.
Heat a large wok or skillet over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil and shrimp to pan; stir-fry about 4 minutes, or until golden brown. Do not over cook.
Remove shrimp from pan. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons oil and stir-fry green onions, ginger, and garlic for 45 seconds. Remove from pan and add to the shrimp.
Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan and stir-fry broccoli for 1 1/2 minutes. Stir in shrimp and onion mixture to pan. Pour in soy sauce, rice vinegar, honey, and red pepper flakes and bring to a boil. Cook just 1 minute or until broccoli is crisp-tender.
Serve immediately over rice.
Cooking Light, JUNE 2013
Did you make this recipe?