This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This post has been sponsored by Tuxton Home. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Chock full of tender chunks of beef, red potatoes, onions, carrots, and mushrooms, Dutch Oven Bee Stew slow cooks for five hours in a red wine sauce.
This oven baked stew is a hearty and delicious no-fuss recipe that’s the perfect casual dinner party entrée. Simply layer the ingredients in a covered Dutch oven, place it in the oven, and forget it until dinner time.
You’ll have plenty of time to toss up a fresh green salad, set the table, and relax before your dinner guests arrive. Serve Dutch Oven Beef Stew with crusty rolls or cornbread muffins to complete the meal.
Dutch Oven Beef Stew
Planning a casual dinner party for family or friends doesn’t have to be stressful, especially if you start with a stove-to-table main course like Dutch Oven Beef Stew. I made this stew in my beautiful new Duratux 6-Quart Dutch Oven.
This cookware is attractive enough to bring right to the dinner table for serving. Its professional grade fine-grain polished stainless steel surface is also easy to cook with and easy to clean! That’s less stress right there!
Prepping the beef stew for the oven takes less than 20 minutes, so there’s plenty of time to plan appetizers or create a simple centerpiece or tablescape while dinner is cooking.
How to Create a Charming Casual Table
It’s easy to create a charming tablescape with these creative decorating tips:
- Build a centerpiece by starting with a decorative tray that matches your dining table décor. Other ideas would be to use a pretty charger or possibly a jute or woven placemat.
- Group candlesticks of varying heights on top of the tray. Typically, three items on the tray is a pleasing number. For example, use just three candlesticks or use two candles and a vase with a simple bouquet of fresh blooms.
- Use cloth napkins. These can be folded and placed in the middle of the plate, secured with a napkin ring (also laying on the plate), or stuffed casually in a glass or coffee cup at each place setting.
- Mix textures, colors, and shapes for a unique table setting. Here, I used square woven bistro placemats instead of chargers under my Tuxton Home dinnerware (Artisan Agave White and Azure Teal).
What is the best beef to use for beef stew?
You can certainly purchase packages of beef stew meat at the grocery, but I find that the beef chunks often widely vary in size.
Since these packages are basically left over cuts from chuck or round roasts, it just makes sense to me to purchase a chuck roast and cut it up myself. That way I have even pieces of meat for my stew.
Also, chuck roast is preferred because it doesn’t dry out and gets more tender and the flavor gets richer the longer it cooks.
How to make Dutch Oven Beef Stew with red wine
- Season the beef. Place the beef stew meat in a large bowl and sprinkle with salt, pepper, coriander, and cloves. Add three cloves of minced garlic and toss to coat the meat evenly.
- Layer the ingredients. Place the stew ingredients into a 6-quart Dutch oven in this order: beef stew meat, onions, potatoes, carrots, and mushrooms. DO NOT stir.
- Prepare the sauce. In a separate bowl, whisk together the tomato paste, beef broth, and red wine. Pour the sauce over the vegetables and sprinkle with 5 tablespoons of tapioca. DO NOT STIR.
- Cover and bake. Set the oven for 275 degrees and bake the stew for five hours. Remove from oven, stir, and serve.
About Tuxton Home Cookware and Ceramics
This Duratux Dutch oven is Triple Clad material all the way through making it great for even heating on the stove and perfect to use in the oven (the quality is comparable to All Clad brand). It also has a gently sloping rim that allows for perfect drip-free pouring.
Tuxton Home Cookware, as well as the ceramic dinnerware, goes into the dishwasher for easy cleaning when you’re done entertaining!
More dinner party worthy recipes!
- Pork Medallions in Mushroom Marsala Sauce
- Perfect Pan Seared New York Strip
- Brown Butter Scallops
- Braised Beef Short Ribs with Gnocchi
- Orange Mustard Glazed Pork Chops
More Stew Recipes!
Dutch Oven Beef Stew Recipe
You’ll love how easy it is to prep, cook, and serve this hearty stew in a Dutch oven!
Your shares are how this site grows and I appreciate each one. Do you know someone who would enjoy this recipe? I’d love it if you would share it on Facebook or on your favorite Pinterest board!
Dutch Oven Beef Stew
- 2 lbs chuck roast or beef stew meat
- 2-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups onion diced
- 2 cups red potatoes cut into 1-1/2 inch cubes
- 2 cups carrots thick slices
- 1 cup mushrooms quartered
- 5 tablespoons tapioca
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 6-oz. can tomato paste
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
- If using a chuck roast, cut into 1-1/2 inch pieces and place in a large bowl. Sprinkle spices (salt, pepper, coriander, cloves) and minced garlic over the meat and toss to coat evenly. Place beef into the bottom of a 6-quart Dutch oven.
Place remaining ingredients into the Dutch oven in the order listed. DO NOT stir.
- Add diced onions on top of the beef stew meat. Cut red potatoes into 1-inch cubes (no need to peel) and place on top of the onions, followed by sliced carrots, and quartered mushrooms.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together tomato paste, beef broth, and red wine. Pour over the vegetables. Sprinkle with 5 tablespoons of tapioca. DO NOT STIR.
- Cover and bake at 275 degrees for 5 hours. Remove from oven, stir (finally!) and serve with crusty bread.
- If the broth is not as thick as you like, make a slurry of a couple tablespoons of cornstarch with 1/4 cup water and stir into the hot broth.
Life Love and Good Food does not claim to be a registered dietician or nutritionist. Nutritional information shared on this site is only an estimate. We recommend running the ingredients through an online nutritional calculator if you need to verify any information.