This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Today’s Mint Chocolate Chip Milkshake is a super delicious, festive drink for the holidays. This easy milkshake recipe is made with mint chocolate chip ice cream (of course!) and is served up in a chocolate-drizzled glass just the way the pros do it in fancy ice cream parlors!
During the Christmas season, like lots of other folks, I crave hot peppermint drinks like this Dark Chocolate Peppermint Mocha. Sometimes I’m also in the mood for a cold peppermint milkshake or even better, a mint milkshake with extra dark chocolate!
Keep reading and I’ll share my pro tips on making the best milkshakes.
Mint Chocolate Chip Milkshake
As a former owner of an ice cream franchise, I’ve made my fair share of milkshakes over the years so I know a little about what makes the best shakes. You don’t need any fancy equipment to make shakes at home — a kitchen blender will do the trick.
Someone once asked me if I ever got tired of ice cream. I did get tired of the business side of ice cream, but I can truthfully say that I never got tired of eating ice cream. It is still one of my favorite indulgent treats!
Tips for Making the BEST Milkshakes
First of all, you shouldn’t worry about calories when you make milkshakes at home. It’s an indulgent treat, remember?
- Use whole milk in your shakes for a rich and creamy flavor.
- Use a good quality ice cream, not ice milk or yogurt.
- To make blending easier, scoop ice cream into the blender bowl in small scoops. If you add large scoops, they will be harder to blend.
- Chill the serving glass in the freezer for a few minutes before blending the milkshake. That may the milkshake will stay cold longer and won’t melt as quickly.
- It’s easy to adjust the ingredients to suit your preference on the milkshake thickness. Add more milk to thin it out, or add an extra scoop of ice cream to thicken it up.
Add a Little Cheer and Festivity to Mint Chocolate Chip Milkshakes
- For adults, add a shot of Creme de Menthe to each shake before blending if you like.
- Drizzle the glass with chocolate before you pop it in the freezer to chill (see my video demonstration).
- Serve each milkshake with whipped cream and garnish with a sprinkle of mini chocolate chips, crushed peppermints, or more chocolate sauce.
Mint Chocolate Chip Milkshake Recipe
When I don’t want to make whipped cream from scratch, I like to use Reddi-Wip canned whipped cream because it is made with real cream. Garnish Mint Chocolate Chip Milkshakes with extra chocolate chips and crushed candy canes for a festive presentation.
Mint Chocolate Chip Milkshake
- 1 pint mint chocolate chip ice cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 ounce creme de menthe optional
- 1 tablespoon dark chocolate syrup
- Ready-Whip Whipped Cream for topping
- Mini semi-sweet chocolate chips for garnish
- Tilt a wide mouth soda glass at a 45 degree angle and squirt the dark chocolate around the inside, turn the glass as you go, to create a drizzle inside the glass.
- Place the glass in the freezer for 10 to 15 minutes to allow the chocolate to set before blending the milkshake.
- Add ice cream to the bowl of a blender in small scoops.
- Pour in milk and creme de menthe (if using) and blend until smooth.
- Pour into the frozen glass and garnish with whipped cream and mini chocolate chips.
Life Love and Good Food does not claim to be a registered dietician or nutritionist. Nutritional information shared on this site is only an estimate. We recommend running the ingredients through an online nutritional calculator if you need to verify any information.