For Father’s Day this past weekend, our family celebrated by grilling Dad’s famous burgers and frying up a batch of these crispy Onion Rings with Spicy Dipping Sauce. Oh. My. Gosh. They were absolutely delicious and a really big hit!
The fun thing about serving these onion rings on Father’s Day was that I used sweet Vidalia onions from my father-in-law’s garden and surprised him with them at our cookout. Making the onion rings really was not complicated and using my FryDaddy made the whole process pretty easy. I “double dipped” the onion rings to get a nice crispy shell (dip in milk or half and half, dip in four mixture, dip again in milk, and again in flour mixture). I’ve tried batter dipped onion rings before, but these were much better in my opinion. I think my family will agree — because not a single one was left over!
- 2 large Vidalia onions, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch rings
- 2 cups half and half
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- canola oil, for frying
Spicy Dipping Sauce
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup sweet chili sauce, Asian variety
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin
- dash of red pepper
- Pour oil into a deep fryer and heat to 375 degrees.
- Slice onions into 1/4-inch slices and separate into rings. Place half the rings in a deep bowl and pour in the half and half.
- In a shallow dish, combine the flour and spices. Dredge the wet rings in the flour mixture and shake off excess. Double dip (again in the half and half and once again in the flour mixture), if desired.
- Fry 3-4 rings at a time until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes. Remove and drain on a cookie sheet lined with paper towels or a brown paper bag. Repeat steps for remaining onions. Serve with dipping sauce.
Spicy Dipping Sauce
- Combine all ingredients and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Onion Rings + Spicy Dipping Sauce recipe adapted from Rachel Ray
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 370 Total Fat: 19g Saturated Fat: 10g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 51mg Sodium: 74mg Carbohydrates: 44g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 16g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 8g