Peppery Grilled Okra and Lemon-Basil Dipping Sauce is a quick, fresh grilled appetizer that’s light, healthy, and pretty tasty, too!
Sum-Sum-Summa time! I love grilling out… I might have mentioned that already…and I especially love grilling fresh veggies. I’m excited to share with you a brand new experiment — Peppery Grilled Okra with Lemon-Basil Dipping Sauce. Normally, I would be frying up these pods (I must say, there’s nothing better than “fried okrie”), but I was intrigued by this recipe and decided to give it a shot. The result was a quick, fresh grilled appetizer that’s light, healthy, and pretty tasty, too!
To get the best results with this recipe — and to avoid okra slime — be sure to rinse and thoroughly dry the okra before grilling. Remove the very tips, but don’t cut through the pods to keep the veggie as crisp as possible. You can cook these on skewers or in a grill pan, but I think the skewered version makes a nice presentation.
Tip: The okra cooks really fast and also cools off really fast, so you’ll want to serve this appetizer immediately for the best flavor and results. Also, cook at a really high heat to get a nice char going. Enjoy!
Peppery Grilled Okra
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped (3 large leaves)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound fresh okra trimmed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Garnish: freshly ground pepper
- Combine Greek yogurt with all other dipping sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- Preheat grill to 400° to 450° (high) heat.
- Toss together okra, olive oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Skewer on wooden picks, if desired, or place in mesh grill pan.
- Grill okra, covered with grill lid, over 400° to 450° (high) heat 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until tender.
- Transfer okra to a serving dish, and serve with dipping sauce. Garnish, if desired.