Peanut Butter Toffee Turtle Cookies
A basic peanut butter cookie with added chocolate chips & toffee bits topped with creamy caramel and a chocolate drizzle.
- 2/3 cup chunky peanut butter
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2/3 cup toffee bits
- 2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 15 caramels - 10 oz.
- 3 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. With an electric mixer, combine the butter, chunky peanut butter, and sugars at medium speed until creamy. Add egg and milk, beating until blended.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to the creamed mixture and mix at low speed just until blended.
- With a a wooden spoon, stir in toffee bits and 2/3 cup chocolate morsels.
- Using a rounded teaspoon of dough, shape into a ball and place onto ungreased cookie sheets and gently flatten dough with your palm.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool cookies on baking sheets 1 minute then remove to wire racks to cool.
- Unwrap caramels and place in a glass bowl with cream. Microwave on HIGH for 1 minute; stir. Continue to microwave at 30-second intervals, stirring until caramels melt and mixture is smooth. Spoon 1/4 teaspoon caramel mixture onto tops of cookies.
- Melt chocolate chips in the top of a double boiler on medium heat; stirring until smooth. Drizzle over tops of cookies.
Southern Living, January 2003