I might have eaten dessert first for dinner tonight, and it just might have been this gooey Chocolate Pudding Cake. It is #chocotoberfest after all! This week I’ve partnered with a group of awesome food bloggers to bring our readers an abundance of delicious CHOCOLATE recipes — you’ll definitely want to check out all the other yumminess at the bottom of this post — and to offer you an opportunity to win a chocolate prize pack worth $350! I tell you, I’ve been in chocolate heaven this week!
What I love about this Chocolate Pudding Cake is that it doesn’t require any special ingredients or extra trips to the grocery store, and as it bakes it creates a gooey chocolate topping (in the bottom of the pan). You don’t even need a mixer for this cake — it comes together in just three simple steps. All you need for this dessert is flour, sugar, cocoa, milk, oil, vanilla, nuts (optional), and boiling water — all staples in most pantries. I used Imperial Sugar (a trusted name in kitchens since 1843 and our #Chocotoberfest Gold Sponsor) in my recipe. Their sugar products and sweeteners are made from non-GMO cane sugar and ensure consistently delicious results.
Chocolate Pudding Cake is basically like a cobbler and can be served warm or cold. I like it best warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream — it tastes a lot like hot fudge cake! Enjoy, friends!
Step 1 ingredients:
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar, such as Imperial Sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts, pecans or walnuts
- 4 tablespoons cocoa, divided
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Step 2 ingredients:
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
Step 3 ingredient:
- 1 cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat the bottom of a 9x9 inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Stir together the dry ingredients (sugar, cocoa, flour, and nuts) in a medium bowl. Add the milk, canola oil, and vanilla; stir until well blended. Spread into the prepared baking pan.
- Combine the remaining sugar and cocoa and sprinkle evenly over the batter.
- Carefully pour boiling water evenly over top of batter and sugar mixture in pan. DO NOT stir. Bake for 45 minutes.
- Serve warm or cold with ice cream, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:6 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 434 Total Fat: 17g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 14g Cholesterol: 2mg Sodium: 292mg Carbohydrates: 67g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 46g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 6g