This Pumpkin Bread recipe—a University of Tennessee campus tradition from the kitchen of Smokey—makes two loaves. One to enjoy, one to share!
We are a Tennessee Orange-blooded alumni family – in other words VFLs, Vols for Life! I know it’s been a little rough on the football field the last few weeks, but we still love the University of Tennessee, football in the SEC, and sharing good tailgating food, whether at the game or watching from home.
Students and alumni take pride in so many well known University of Tennessee traditions – Rocky Top, the Vol Walk, the Pride of the Southland’s “salute to the hill” and the UT Bakery’s signature recipe for Pumpkin Bread. Pumpkin Bread was one of the most popular bakery items when I was a student on campus (don’t ask, but it was more than 20 years ago) and still is today.
Pumpkin is one of my very favorite fall flavors, and I especially like this bread warm from the oven and with a cup of coffee. I think you will, too.
A few tips for this recipe:
- Don’t get alarmed when you mix up the batter and it seems thin – it will bake up just fine.
- The recipe says it will make two 9″ x 5″ loaves (nice for sharing!), but I really think smaller pans (8″ x 4″ if you can find them) work better.
- I occasionally like to toss in a handful of chocolate chips. If you do add the chocolate chips, toss the chips with a tablespoon of flour and add to the batter just before pouring into the loaf pans. Don’t stir too much or they will all sink to the bottom!
- If you like, spread warm slices with a little sweetened cream cheese.
Of course, our family will be cheering for the Vols tomorrow especially since a win against the Kentucky Wildcats would put us closer to the opportunity to plan in the SEC Championship game! GO BIG ORANGE!
Sheila (’84), College of Communications; John (’85), College of Business; Allison (’10), College Scholars; Lindsay (’12), College of Business
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 can mashed pumpkin
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 teaspoon cloves
- 2/3 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2/3 teaspoon allspice
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 9" x 5" loaf pans.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, oil, pumpkin, and eggs, mixing until well blended.
- In another bowl, stir together the flour and spices. Add dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture and blend well. Stir in vanilla and water until all ingredients are well blended. Batter will be runny.
- Pour into prepared pans. and bake for one hour. Remove pans from oven and cool on racks for 10 minutes. Carefully remove from pans and cool completely. Slice and serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 156 Total Fat: 6g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 19mg Sodium: 124mg Carbohydrates: 24g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 15g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 2g