Banana Chocolate Chunk Cookie Butter Muffins—each bite of these muffins is loaded with plenty of dark chocolate chunks and banana flavor. Add the crunchy cookie butter surprise and you’ve got yourself one delicious muffin!
Muffin Week 2018
It’s officially August and we’re celebrating with Muffin Week! An amazing group of food bloggers and I have teamed up to bring you muffin recipes all week! You’ll find the full spread of savory, sweet, healthy and indulgent muffin recipes over at A Joyfully Mad Kitchen. Be sure to look for some new muffin recipes to try!
Let me start off the week by sharing my new recipe for Banana Chocolate Chunk Cookie Butter Muffins. Whew! That’s a mouthful, I know, but I think you’re going to love the flavor combination in these moist banana muffins which feature two of my favorite Trader Joe’s products, Semi-Sweet Dark Chocolate Chunks and Speculoos Crunchy Cookie Butter!
What is cookie butter?
If you haven’t sampled cookie butter yet, what are you waiting for?! Cookie Butter is a dessert spread made from spiced Belgium cookies like Speculoos or Biscoff. Speculoos, thin caramelized spice cookies, were traditionally made around Christmas in the Netherlands and Belgium and were stamped with an image of St. Nicholas.
You are probably most familiar with Biscoff cookies because they are a regular snack on many domestic airline flights. John used to save his Delta snacks to bring home to the girls back in the day. It was a real treat for our grade school girls at the time!
Starting with a basic banana muffin batter, I folded in three-fourths cups of chocolate chunks and evenly divided the mixture in a 12-cup muffin pan. Next, I dropped a teaspoon of the CRUNCHY cookie butter on top of the batter in each muffin cup and used a toothpick to slightly swirl the cookie butter into the tops of the muffin batter.
The cookie butter is thick, so the swirling had to be done gently to avoid pulling the paper liners away from the muffin tin. The goal is to leave big chunks of the cookie butter on top, not to fully incorporate it into the batter. As the muffins bake, the cookie butter leaves a bit of a crispy crunch on top which adds a nice texture as well as a little surprise of ginger-spice flavor.
For this recipe you will need these kitchen tools:
Each bite of these muffins is loaded with plenty of dark chocolate chunks and banana flavor. Add the crunchy cookie butter surprise and you’ve got yourself one delicious muffin.
DID YOU MAKE THIS BANANA CHOCOLATE CHUNK COOKIE BUTTER MUFFINS RECIPE?
If you like this recipe, please do me a favor and give it a 5-star rating!
And, if you’re into sharing photos of your cooking adventures, please tag @lifeloveandgoodfood on Instagram and hashtag it #lifeloveandgoodfood. Happy baking, friends!
Banana Chocolate Chunk Cookie Butter Muffins
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed with a fork
- 1 egg
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chunks
- 1/2 cup cookie butter spread
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place paper liners into a 12-cup muffin pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugars.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the mashed banana, melted butter, and milk until smooth. Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the wet mixture. Stir just until moistened--do not over mix or the muffins will get tough.
- Gently fold in the chocolate chunks. Evenly divide the batter among the muffin cups. Drop about 1 teaspoon of cookie butter on top of each muffin batter in the cups. Using a toothpick or sharp knife, gently swirl the cookie butter into the batter. The cookie butter will be thick, so be careful about the muffin liners pulling away from the sides.
- Bake muffins at 425 degrees for 5 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees and continue baking for 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes before removing from the pan.