Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins are bursting with fresh berries and are crowned with a brown sugar streusel crumble for a bakery-style result.
Fresh blueberries are the perfect compliment to a bowl of breakfast oatmeal, so I thought it just made sense that tossing a handful into these oatmeal muffins would kick the recipe up a notch – and it did! These Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins are bursting with fresh berries and are crowned with a brown sugar streusel crumble for a bakery-style result.
We’ve been blessed this year with plenty of fresh blueberries from my Father-in-Law’s prize blueberry bushes. These last couple of weeks we’ve enjoyed having blueberries on cereal, in cobblers and crumbles, and have even made No-Churn Blueberry Ice Cream – yum!
Just last week, we were in Portland, Maine, for a long weekend and there were plenty of Wild Maine Blueberry jams and jellies in all the shops. I didn’t have a chance to sample any wild blueberries while we were there, but I can’t imagine that they could be any better than the ones that Cecil grows here in good ‘ole East Tennessee!
Portland is a beautiful city — I loved the architecture in Old Port — and was once named by the New York Times as America’s Foodiest Small Town, so you know that this self-proclaimed foodie was in heaven for a couple of days! We had a very limited time to sightsee, so we opted to do a bicycle lighthouse tour along the coast and take in as much of the country as we could in a few hours. Our tour included a picnic lunch stop at the Portland Headlight where we feasted on the most amazing lobster rolls from the Bite into Maine food truck. While we were in Portland, we enjoyed a fancy dinner on a patio in South Portland overlooking the city and had a fabulous Sunday brunch of shirred eggs and strawberry-rhubarb French toast at an Italian eatery, but I must say that the picnic-style lobster roll (with a layer of coleslaw, hot butter, and a dash of celery salt) was the most memorable thing I ate on the entire trip!
So, on my next trip to Portland, Maine — and it IS on our “return” list — I’ll have to check out the wild blueberries and will most definitely enjoy another one of those amazing lobster rolls!
Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
- 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1-1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into pieces
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line twelve medium muffin cups with paper baking cups.
- Combine oats, flour and sugar in a small bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender until mixture is crumbly.
- Whisk together dry ingredients in a large bowl (flour, oats, sugar and baking powder) to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together milk, oil, egg and vanilla. Add this mixture all at once to the dry ingredients along with the blueberries. Stir just until the flour mixture is moistened. (Do not overmix.) Divide batter evenly among muffin cups and sprinkle with reserved streusel.
- Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in muffin tin on wire rack for 5 minutes before removing.
- Best served warm.