This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Classic Buffalo Chicken Dip is reinvented into a comforting family dinner—Buffalo Chicken Shepherd’s Pie with Ranch Mashed Potatoes.
This dish (Buffalo Chicken Shepherd’s Pie) that I first shared over at The Weary Chef may seem complicated, but with a few simple shortcuts it’s a lot easier than you may make think.
First, there were Buffalo Chicken Wings and then there was Buffalo Chicken Dip, Now, all that spicy, tangy flavor is served up in a tasty dinner casserole, Buffalo Chicken Shepherd’s Pie!
This dish starts with the basic concept of traditional shepherd’s pie, but instead has a base of modified Buffalo Chicken Dip and a topping of creamy Ranch mashed potatoes.
Traditional shepherd’s pie can take a long time to prepare (chopping and dicing carrots and onions plus cooking the meat for the filling), but this version comes together very quickly.
I use rotisserie chicken from my grocery deli, so the only real prep work required is peeling and cooking the potatoes and chopping a bit of onion.
However, if you want to save more time, substitute frozen mashed potatoes and just add in the ranch seasoning and sour cream.
No one will be the wiser, just smile and say “thank you” when the compliments start coming from around the dinner table. 🙂
There are just three basic steps in making this delicious dinner:
- Mash the cooked potatoes with sour cream and add the special ingredient, Hidden Valley®Original Ranch® Salad Dressing & Seasoning Mix. I swear there’s nothing better than a good potato with Ranch dressing. Am I right or what?!
- Sauté onions and add the rest of the chicken filling ingredients—no extra cooking required in this step.
- Layer the chicken, potatoes, and a little extra cheese in a casserole dish and bake. How simple is that?!
Once you try this easy recipe, I’m sure it will be making a repeat appearance on your dinner table, so go ahead and save this one to your recipe box now!
Buffalo Chicken Shepherd’s Pie
- 1 rotisserie chicken , shredded
- 1/2 cup sweet onion , chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup Frank’s Red Hot Buffalo Wings Sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup blue cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 5-6 medium size Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1 1 oz. pkt. Hidden Valley® Original Ranch® Salad Dressing & Seasoning Mix
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Prepare the potatoes:
- Peel and dice potatoes. Cook in boiling water until fork tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain. Using a potato masher or hand held mixer, mix in sour cream and Ranch packet. Add milk until desired consistency is achieved.
Prepare the buffalo chicken:
- Sauté onions in a tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat until translucent. Add the tomato paste and chicken broth and stir until smooth. Add shredded chicken and the blue cheese and mozzarella cheese and stir.
- Pour chicken mixture into a lightly greased casserole dish. Top with the mashed potatoes—pipe them on if you want to get fancy . Top potatoes with cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes, or until the mixture is bubbly and the top is lightly golden.
Life Love and Good Food does not claim to be a registered dietician or nutritionist. Nutritional information shared on this site is only an estimate. We recommend running the ingredients through an online nutritional calculator if you need to verify any information.