Perfectly grilled chicken served with fresh strawberry salsa — this beautiful dish only takes 20 minutes to prepare!
My friends know that I’ve been a little busy lately taking a non-credit digital photography class (I’m planning to share more in a post this later this week) which means that I’ve struggled to find time to devote to cooking and blogging.
Obviously, that’s not a good thing for my food blog! My weekends have been spent doing class photography assignments (getting shots that don’t necessarily involve food) when I’m normally cooking and dreaming up recipes.
Thank goodness for my supportive husband because he suggested we make Grilled Chicken and Strawberry Salsa for dinner last night and I was able to capture a few shots to share with you!
I must admit that I probably wouldn’t have put these two recipes together, but it really works well! We started with some beautiful Florida strawberries and I did a little photography practice with lighting and luminance.
The salsa recipe is so simple. Remember, the flavors will continue to blend if you have time to prep the salsa ahead of time.
Dice fresh strawberries, red onion, a red bell pepper, and jalapeno (add a few seeds if you like a lot of spice) and season with lime juice and a pinch of salt.
And yes, we were grilling outdoors in February! The weather here has been so crazy—45 degrees one day and 75 degrees the next!
We always grill chicken using Bobby Flay’s directions for perfectly grilled chicken (get details in the recipe card below) and it’s always juicy and delicious!
Allow the chicken to rest for about five minutes before serving. With this recipe, I sliced the chicken crosswise and then served on a platter with the salsa ladled on top.
You can also make this dish into chicken tacos and serve with flour tortillas and a little queso fresco crumbled on top. Enjoy!
- 4 chicken breasts, (skinless and boneless)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 quart strawberries,, diced
- 1/2 small red onion,, diced
- 1 red bell pepper,, seeded and diced
- 1 jalapeno,, seeded and minced
- juice of one lime
- kosher salt,, to taste
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro,, chopped (optional)
- Heat grill to high heat.
- Place the chicken between 2 pieces of plastic wrap and using a meat mallet pound the chicken lightly to an even 1/2-inch thickness.
- Brush the breasts on both sides with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle evenly with the cumin. Place the breasts on grill and cook until golden brown and slightly charred, 4-5 minutes. Flip and continue grilling until just cooked through, 3-4 minutes longer. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should register 155 degrees F.
- Remove from the grill and let rest 5 minutes before serving with strawberry salsa.
- In a large bowl, add strawberries, red onion, red bell pepper, and jalapeno. Squeeze lime juice over all and toss gently to combine. Season with salt to taste. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Salsa recipe by Ree Drummond.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 332Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 102mgSodium: 385mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 4gSugar: 10gProtein: 39g
Sheila Thigpen, author of Easy Chicken Cookbook and The 5-Ingredient Fresh and Easy Cookbook, is a recipe developer, food photographer, and food writer. She spent 20+ years as a business manager in the publishing industry before she retired in 2018 to focus on her passions — cooking, photography, and writing. Living near the beautiful Smoky Mountains, Sheila and her husband have two adult daughters and two fine sons-in-law, are active in their church, love to travel, and have a precious little granddaughter who has stolen their hearts. Follow Sheila on YouTube, Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter!