This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Cheesy Chicken Vegetable Chowder is chock full of chicken, potatoes, corn, carrots, celery, and onion in a creamy cheesy broth.
Last week East Tennessee was hit with an ice storm that literally crippled our city for a couple of days. Dealing with snow is one thing, but ice is a totally different matter around here.
Unlike our friends in the North, we’re just not equipped to handle that stuff — we’re accustomed to mild winters and hot, humid summers, after all!
One thing I do know about snowy days is that they call for some good ‘ol comfort food like this Cheesy Chicken Vegetable Chowder. There’s nothing fancy about this soup–no special ingredients required.
In fact, you probably have everything you need to make a batch in your pantry right now! This chowder is basic enough to get a little creative by simply substituting different veggies or by experimenting with a different cheese.
Thankfully, at our house we only lost power for a few hours during the ice storm. Some families were without power for several days of record-breaking low temperatures!
It’s just a reminder that we shouldn’t take all our modern comforts and conveniences for granted. Join me in being thankful for loving families, warm homes, full bellies, and kind neighbors!
Cheesy Chicken Vegetable Chowder
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 8 medium celery ribs sliced
- 4 medium carrots sliced
- 2 medium potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 large onion diced
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups frozen whole kernel corn
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- In a Dutch oven or soup pot, combine chicken broth and all veggies except for the frozen corn. Bring to a boil, then reduce head and simmer 15-20 minutes or until veggies are tender. Remove from heat and stir in corn.
- In a heavy saucepan, melt butter and stir in flour. Whisk until smooth; cook for about 1 minute, whisking constantly. Add milk; cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly.
- Add cheese to the milk mixture and stir until melted.
- Add chicken and cheese sauce to the vegetable mixture. Stir until combined. Cook over medium heat until thoroughly heated through, stirring often.