This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This post is sponsored by Swanson®. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
This tasty Cheesy Chicken Corn Chowder with potatoes, baby Bella mushrooms, and chicken is a meal in itself and can be on your family’s table in around 30 minutes.
I wish I could count the times that I’ve walked into our kitchen to find someone staring forlornly into the refrigerator grumbling, “there’s nothing to eat in here!”
Those words always translate into a challenge for me. Of course, there’s usually something to eat, but it may require a little vision and creativity—and a great starter, like Swanson® Chicken Broth.
Cheesy Chicken Corn Chowder, a comforting homemade soup that can be enjoyed year-round, was the result of one of such challenge.
Cheesy Chicken Corn Chowder
Even when I’m up against a challenge, I can expect to deliver a family favorite every time with Swanson® Chicken Broth—like this Cheesy Chicken Corn Chowder.
There’s a reason that Swanson® is America’s #1 Broth and home cooks have trusted it for 70 years. It’s a great starter for soups, stews, and even side dishes, and I love the fact that it’s 100 percent natural!
There’s nothing like a good chicken soup to warm the heart and soul on a chilly day. One thing I especially like about using Swanson® Chicken Broth (available in both cans and cartons) is that I can speed up making soups because I can skip stewing my own chicken to make broth.
In today’s recipe, I have provided instructions for using either boneless chicken thighs or a pre-cooked deli rotisserie chicken, which is one shortcut to making this soup quickly.
Making Cheesy Chicken Corn Chowder step-by-step
First, melt butter and olive oil in a soup pot and add diced onion, chopped baby Bella mushrooms, garlic, and fresh thyme leaves (you can substitute dried thyme leaves). Cook for about five minutes or until the veggies are tender.
Next, add the chicken to the pot—either fresh or pre-cooked rotisserie chicken. If using fresh chicken thighs, push the veggies to the side and sear the chicken for 3-4 minutes on each side, then remove and coarsely chop.
To speed up the process, I will often use pre-cooked rotisserie chicken that’s already been removed from the bone that I find at my grocery’s deli. It’s a great time saver if you’re in a rush! Return the chicken to the pot, sprinkle with flour and stir to coat.
Now, for the special sauce! Pour 32 ounces of Swanson® Chicken Broth over the chicken and veggie mixture and return to a boil. As you cook and stir, the mixture will begin to thicken.
Add two peeled and diced potatoes to the soup pot along with two cups of milk. You can use either two percent or whole milk.
Carefully stir in the frozen corn and bring the mixture back to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes or until the potatoes and corn are tender. At this point, taste the soup and add in salt and pepper to your liking.
If I have fresh parsley on hand, I like to add that to the soup as well but it is totally optional. Stir in the cheese until it melts and you’re ready to serve!
You may also enjoy these other recipes featuring chicken broth:
- Favorite White Chicken Chili
- French Onion Soup
- White Chicken Chili Verde
- Chicken Cutlets with Olives and Fingerling Potatoes
Cheesy Chicken Corn Chowder Recipe
Using a rotisserie chicken and frozen corn are real time savers in this homemade soup recipe, but you can always use fresh chicken and fresh cut-off corn if you prefer.
To serve, top the chowder with extra cheese and serve with a crusty bread—so comforting and so delicious!
Cheesy Chicken Corn Chowder
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 8 ounces baby Bella mushrooms coarsely diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs or 1 rotisserie chicken
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 32 oz. pkg Swanson® Chicken Broth
- 2 cups milk
- 2 medium potatoes peeled and diced
- 4-1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Melt the butter with the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Sauté the onion, mushrooms, garlic, and thyme until the vegetables tender, about 5 minutes.
- If using raw chicken thighs, push vegetables to the side of pan, and add chicken. Cook on each side 3-4 minutes to sear. Remove chicken, chop coarsely, and return to pan. If using a rotisserie chicken, coarsely chop the chicken and add to the sautéed vegetables in the soup pot.
- Sprinkle the flour over the chicken and vegetables and stir to coat. Add Swanson® Chicken Broth and bring to a boil.
- Add the milk, frozen corn, and diced potatoes. Bring to a boil and cook for about 10 minutes, until the potatoes and the corn are soft and heated through.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper to your taste. Add the cheese and chopped fresh parsley (if desired) and stir until melted. Serve with crusty bread or croutons and additional shredded cheddar cheese on top, if desired.