Citrus Grilled Shrimp Salad is a light and refreshing dinner that uses orange juice and fresh lime juice are the base for its light vinaigrette.
TGIF — Happy Friday! Let me tell you, this has been one LONG week and I am so ready for the weekend! My week got off to a bit of a rocky start and I’ve had trouble recovering from lack of sleep ever since. I guess my 50+ year old body just can’t handle lack of sleep like it did during my college days! It’s during weeks like the one that I appreciate even more finding easy dinner recipes like Citrus Grilled Shrimp Salad. This dinner is especially refreshingly light and delicious after consuming all those chips and salsa for Cinco de Mayo!
After a busy “work week”, a busy “life week”, and a “little sleep” week, this Citrus Grilled Shrimp Salad recipe from Food Network was just what I needed. John and I teamed up to prepare dinner and were ready to sit down and enjoy in just 15 minutes! I tossed the salad and made the vinaigrette while he prepped the skewers and manned the grill (of course!). A little orange juice and fresh lime juice are the base for this light dressing that is used to baste the shrimp and toss with the greens. With very little olive oil in the recipe, this salad does not have a heavy base. We grilled a half lime and used that to also squeeze over top the shrimp for a little extra zest.
My crazy week started with me locking my keys in the trunk of my car while I was in Nashville for round one of our daughter’s bridal shower (round two is this weekend in Knoxville!). The good thing is that I was stranded with my girls and had a place to stay for the evening after having made a AAA rescue call which resulted in my car’s anti-theft mechanism kicking in and locking down the car! It was too late to get help from the car dealership and so I had to wait for John to drive over on Sunday with the extra keys — I love my guy! The rest of my week involved a series of interesting events, including issues with the security alarm in our new condo after this week’s storms. An incessant beeping does not make for good sleep, nor does setting off the sirens without having a code to shut it off! Rest assured, we’ve fixed that problem, and believe me, I’m looking forward to sleeping in on Saturday!
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lime zest from 1 lime
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 6 cups chopped romaine
- 1/2 red bell pepper,, julienned
- 1/2 small red onion,, thinly sliced
- Preheat grill to medium high heat.
- Combine all vinaigrette ingredients except for the thyme in a small jar and shake until blended. Reserve 3 tablespoons for brushing over the shrimp. To the rest, add the thyme and shake once more.
- Place shrimp on skewers and brush with reserved vinaigrette. Grill shrimp 3 minutes per side, or until pink and cooked through.
- Prepare lettuce and place in a large salad bowl with the red bell pepper and red onion.Top with grilled shrimp and toss with remaining vinaigrette.
Recipe adapted from Robin Miller, Food Network 2006
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 196 Total Fat: 5g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 239mg Sodium: 1413mg Carbohydrates: 11g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 5g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 27g