Cheesy Shrimp Dip makes a delicious hot appetizer that your guests will literally devour in seconds! This cream cheese shrimp dip actually combines three different types of cheese—cream cheese, shredded mozzarella, and Parmesan cheese—with a sautéed shrimp scampi.
Serve this deliciously creamy hot shrimp dip with pita chips, assorted crackers, or even a sliced and toasted baguette.
This easy shrimp dip recipe is made with a half pound of fresh shrimp, but you can add more if you would like your dip to be chunkier.
Looking for a little inspiration for your next holiday party menu? This is IT—this baked shrimp dip is SO easy, SO cheesy, and SO delicious!
Cheesy Shrimp Dip
You may have read in my last newsletter that I recently had eye surgery to repair a macular hole. These last six weeks I’ve been recovering and just the last week or so have started to feel normal.
Prior to my surgery, I hadn’t really done anything to get ready for the holidays, so I’m feeling particularly behind this year!
On top of that, I’m headed to St. Louis the week after Thanksgiving to stay with my daughter and help with our new grand baby that’s due to arrive soon — you just don’t even know how excited we are to meet our grand baby!!
With all that, I love EASY and SIMPLE holiday recipes like this Cheesy Shrimp Dip. This is one of the recipes that I’ll plan to prepare while I’m in St. Louis celebrating Christmas away from home.
This year I may be a little distracted with the new baby, so easy recipes are a good choice for me!
- Fresh shrimp— Purchase from the seafood counter already peeled and deveined to save yourself some prep time. Medium-size shrimp is fine for this recipe.
- Garlic—for flavor
- Fresh lemon juice—to brighten up the dish
- Green onions—for flavor
- Cream cheese—I use the low-fat variety. Be sure to let it soften adequately to make mixing up the dip easier.
- Shredded Parmesan—not grated, you want some texture from this cheese
- Shredded mozzarella—or you could use fresh mozzarella
- Mayonnaise—give it some tang
- Sour cream
- Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Smoked paprika—for garnishing
How to devein shrimp
In the event you are starting with shrimp that needs to be peeled and deveined, follow these steps to remove the shells and the vein using a small paring knife.
- Use the tip of the paring knife to score the shrimp along the back.
- Look for the dark vein, which is a long black string running the length of the shrimp.
- Use the tip of the knife to gently lift up the vein and pull it out.
How to make shrimp dip with cream cheese
- Start with a half pound (or more) of fresh shrimp that has been peeled and deveined. Give it a rough chop leaving some big chunks—we want this dip to be meaty and hearty.
- Make the scampi. Sauté the shrimp in butter with garlic, fresh lemon juice, and green onions until the shrimp are pink. Now, you could stop right here and just soak up the scampi with a big piece of crusty bread. I mean, really, this buttery shrimp is delicious!
- Add the cream cheese to the pan and stir until it’s all melted. Then, add in the remaining cheeses and two tablespoons each of mayo and sour cream.
- Once all the cheese is melted and the mixture is creamy, pour it into a lightly greased baking dish and sprinkle with more Parmesan cheese and smoked paprika. Bake in a 350-degree oven until hot and bubbly.
- Before serving, garnish the hot dip with a few sliced green onions or fresh chopped Italian flat-leaf parsley, if you like. This will give the dip a touch of freshness and finesse.
- Serve the shrimp dip with crackers, toasted baguettes, or pita chips.
More cheesy dip recipes
- Baked Brie Appetizer — This EASY Baked Brie Appetizer with apples and molasses is a tasty, simply elegant appetizer recipe that’s sure to impress every guest at your party.
- Hot Pepper Jelly Cheese Dip with Bacon — Sweet and salty with a little bit of heat, this Hot Pepper Jelly Cheese Dip with Bacon is irresistible at holiday parties.
- Baked Jalapeño Pimento Cheese — Adjust the heat to your tastes by adding more roasted jalapeño peppers to this lightened up Baked Jalapeño Pimento Cheese.
- Easy Spinach Artichoke Dip — This hot dip requires just five basic ingredients!
- Sausage, Bean, and Spinach Dip — Serve with corn chips because this hearty dip demands a hearty chip!
- Warm and Cheesy Crack Dip — Be careful, this dip is addictive!
- More appetizer recipes!
One thing I love about this hot appetizer is that it can be mixed up ahead of time. Just do all the stove top steps in the recipe, then cover and refrigerate.
Thirty minutes before your party guests arrive, pop the dip into a preheated oven and bake until hot and bubbly. Now, tell me, how can you go wrong with a warm cheesy dip?!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 pound medium fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2-3 green onions,, sliced
- 1 8-oz. pkg. low-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- Pinch salt
- Pinch cracked black pepper
- Smoked paprika, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Coarsely chop shrimp. Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add shrimp, garlic, and green onions and cook just until the shrimp are pink, 2-3 minutes. Stir in lemon juice.
- Reduce heat to low and add cream cheese, stirring until melted. Add sour cream, mayo, Parmesan and mozzarella cheeses and stir until combined.
- Season with salt and pepper, then spoon mixture into a 1-quart baking dish and sprinkle top with paprika.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until lightly browned and bubbly, Serve with pita chips or crackers.
To mix this dip up ahead of time, follow all the stove top steps in the recipe, then cover and refrigerate. When ready to cook, preheat oven, remove from the refrigerator and bake uncovered as directed.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:8 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 172Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 85mgSodium: 276mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 12g