Fresh Strawberry Scones…a cup of coffee with vanilla cream…warm sunshine. Now, that’s what I call the beginning of a beautiful day! If you haven’t made scones at home before, you’ve got to try this recipe. These scones are flaky and slightly sweet and are delicious with any type of berry. I particularly love using strawberries and adding a dark chocolate drizzle on top. Keep reading for some tips on making the perfect scone, but be sure to read the recipe at the end of this post for complete directions!
Start with really cold butter. Better yet, use frozen butter and use a box grater to shave it directly into your bowl of dry ingredients. Incorporate the butter with a fork or mix it in with your fingers until the flour and butter resembles small peas.
Don’t overwork or over knead the dough. Roll or shape it into a rectangle on a floured surface and sprinkle frozen fruit on the bottom two-thirds. Remember, we’re keeping it all good and cold before popping into a hot oven!
Use a pastry scraper or large spatula to gently fold the dough over the fruit twice (pressing in the fruit as needed), making a log that is one-third the original rectangle width.
If the dough crumbles a little, just press the dough together gently and continue until you have a shaped log about one-once thick.
Slice the log into four equal pieces and then slice each piece diagonally to make eight triangles. Brush the tops with a little cream and sprinkle with sugar. Place the unbaked scones on a floured plate and put in the freezer for about five minutes before baking.
Bake the scones on a parchment-lined baking sheet at 400 degrees, cool five minutes on the baking sheet before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Save the parchment paper and place the wire racks on top when you drizzle the chocolate to make clean up a little easier. Enjoy, friends!
- 2 cups self-rising, plus more as needed
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, 1 stick, frozen
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, diced
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
Dark Chocolate Drizzle
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Combine the flour, 1/4 cup sugar, and lemon zest in a large bowl. Use a box grater to grate butter into the bowl. Combine the butter and flour mixture with a fork or your fingers until butter is incorporated.
- Pour in 3/4 cup heavy cream and mix until a rough, slightly sticky mound has formed (not all of the flour will be incorporated). Turn the dough and loose flour out onto a work surface and knead until most of the flour is incorporated and the dough just holds together (be careful not to overwork it). Roll the dough into an 8-by-10-inch rectangle.
- Remove the strawberries from the freezer and sprinkle in a single layer over the lower two-thirds of the rectangle, pressing into the dough.
- Starting with the top third, fold the dough lengthwise into thirds, pressing on the layers as you go (use a spatula or pastry scraper if the dough sticks to the work surface).
- Flour the rolling pin again and gently roll the dough into an even 1-inch-thick block. If the ends become tapered, square them with your hands. Slice the dough crosswise (do not saw back and forth) into 4 equal pieces. Cut each piece diagonally to form 2 triangles.
- Transfer the scones to a floured plate and place in the freezer for 5 minutes.
- Remove the scones from the freezer and place on prepared baking sheet 2 inches apart. Brush tops with the 1 tablespoon cream and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Bake until golden brown on the top and bottom, about 20 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes on the baking sheet, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Place chocolate chips and milk in microwave-safe bowl and heat for 30 seconds at 50% power. Stir, then heat for 30 more seconds at 50% power. Stir until smooth and drizzle over top of cooled scones.
Adapted from recipe by Amy Wisniewski
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 274 Total Fat: 24g Saturated Fat: 15g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 58mg Sodium: 10mg Carbohydrates: 17g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 16g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 1g