Sometimes good things just happen by accident, like this fresh Strawberry Bread and Strawberry “Shmear”. It all started with a package of berries that had been in our fridge for a few days and a need to find a use for them before leaving town. I remembered a Strawberry Bread that was served at a nearby B&B. And so, my Google search began.
I found a recipe for Strawberry Loaf Bread at Saveur and decided to add a strawberry “shmear” for serving on the side. I was first introduced to “shmears” or whipped sweet crème butters at Dame’s Chicken and Waffles and all I can say about that is, “Oh, my goodness!” As for this Strawberry Bread, not to boast, but I was pretty pleased with the outcome!
A dense sweet bread with plenty of fruit, this Strawberry Bread smells heavenly as it comes out of the oven. “Shmear” strawberry spread on a warm piece of bread and… YUM!
Tips: I think I’ll try the suggestion from Saveur’s original post and experiment with other fresh fruits next time. This bread would be nice served at brunch, a casual luncheon, or bridal tea. The recipe makes two loaves, so here’s another good recipe for baking and sharing. Enjoy!
- Unsalted butter, for greasing pans
- 3 cups flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 11/4 cups canola oil
- 4 eggs
- 4 cups roughly chopped strawberries
- 1/2 cup strawberry jam, optional
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons strawberry jam
- Heat oven to 350°. Grease 2 (9" x 5" x 23/4") loaf pans with butter and dust with flour; set aside. Whisk flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl; set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk sugar, oil, and eggs. Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and whisk until just combined. Stir in strawberries and pour batter into prepared pans. If using jam, spoon 1/4 cup over each loaf and using a knife, swirl jam into batter. Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle of the loaves comes out clean, about 1 hour. Let cool for 30 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Combine all ingredients and whip until smooth. If not using immediately, cover and refrigerate.
Strawberry Loaf Bread by Saveur
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 501 Total Fat: 33g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 29g Cholesterol: 42mg Sodium: 110mg Carbohydrates: 50g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 32g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 4g