The International Biscuit Festival is just a week away, so while I have biscuits on my mind I thought I’d share these quick and easy Ham and Swiss Biscuits with y’all! These biscuits are great for breakfast or lunch. Depending on your preference, bake them nestled together on your baking sheet for soft sides or place them a couple of inches apart for a crustier biscuit. Either way, the insides will still melt in your mouth!
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 2/3 to 3/4 cups milk, or buttermilk
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 cup diced ham
- 1-1/2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1-2 tablespoons butter, melted
- fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Add flour to a large bowl and cut in shortening with pastry blender or fork until crumbs are the size of peas. Add just enough milk and stir with fork until the dough is moistened and holds together.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead dough gently 2 to 3 times. Roll dough into a rectangle that is about 12 by 9 inches.
- Spread Dijon mustard on top of dough, then sprinkle evenly with the ham and cheese.
- From the long side, roll up jelly-roll fashion. Press seam gently to seal and cut into 12 slices. Place with sides touching on cookie sheet for a softer biscuit, or 2 inches apart for more browning on the sides. Brush tops with melted butter and sprinkle with a little fresh ground black pepper.
- Bake 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. If desired, brush with more butter while still hot from the oven.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 194 Total Fat: 10g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 25mg Sodium: 474mg Carbohydrates: 18g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 1g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 8g