This Healthy Greek Coleslaw is chock full of all the things I love about a Greek salad and nothing like the classic coleslaw you’re accustomed to having at Summer barbecues and cookouts. Skip the heavy mayonnaise dressing, this style coleslaw gets tossed with a light and fresh lemony Greek dressing.
As my grandmother would say, this coleslaw is made with a whole passel of veggies and could be eaten as a meal all by itself!
Green cabbage, cucumber, tomatoes, red onions, and bell pepper get tossed together with chickpeas, kalamata olives, and peperoncini for a big bowl of deliciousness. Healthy Greek Coleslaw is a tasty side dish for this Turkey Stack with Feta Spread, too!
Freaky Friday blog hop
Today is FREAKY FRIDAY, y’all! That may not mean a thing to you, but it’s pretty exciting for me. Freaky Friday is a fun blog project (the brainchild of Michaela from An Affair From the Heart) where a group of food bloggers secretly cook or bake a recipe from another blog they were assigned and then reveal the recipes at the same time on one Freaky Friday morning — that’s TODAY!
Meet Debra from Bowl Me Over
I’m so happy to introduce you to Debra from Bowl Me Over. Debra specializes in creating simple, tasty dishes that won’t have your spending all day in the kitchen — that’s right up my alley!
I met Debra in 2018 at a photography workshop we both attended in Salt Lake City. Debra lives in Fresno, California, and I live in Knoxville, Tennessee. We arrived at the SLC airport about the same time and shared a shuttle to our hotel. Debra was friendly and charming, and I immediately liked her a lot!
Since then, our paths have crossed a few times through blogging. She’s always a joy and willing to help you out if she can. That’s evident by all the birthday cakes she makes for children in foster care through Cake4Kids.
Her blog is loaded with helpful tips, too. If you own an Instant Pot, be sure to check out Debra’s complete guide to cooking in your Instant Pot and try her Pressure Cooker Mongolian Beef or Instant Pot Meatloaf.
There are so, so many delicious recipes at Bowl Me Over. There’s even an entire section of homemade jam and jelly recipes like Christmas Cookie Fig Jam and Meyer Lemon Marmalade. Don’t you think either of those be a special treat in a gift basket?!
Debra even shares short cut tips for this decadent Better Than Sex Cake that starts with a boxed cake mix. I’m waiting for just the right occasion to bake Debra’s Pink Lemonade Cupcakes — they look so good!
Be sure to give Debra some love and browse around Bowl Me Over. I know you’ll find something delicious you can’t wait to cook!
Healthy Greek Coleslaw ingredients
- green cabbage
- English cucumber
- cherry tomatoes
- red onion
- bell pepper
- kalamata olives
- chickpeas or garbanzo beans
- Greek dressing (bottled or homemade)
How to make Greek Coleslaw
Making this Greek coleslaw is as easy as chopping vegetables, literally! To make that task a little easier, I used my box grater for the cabbage and favorite chef’s knife to quickly dice up the cucumber, red onions, bell pepper, and tomatoes.
- Shred the cabbage and place in a large bowl with plenty of room for tossing the ingredients
- Rinse and drain the chickpeas and toss into the bowl with the cabbage.
- Dice the remaining veggies, slice the olives, and coarsely chop the peperoncini and add to the bowl.
- Give it a quick toss to combine, then pour on the Greek dressing and combine.
Choosing the dressing
There are a lot of varieties of Greek dressing on the shelf in the condiment aisle, from creamy to vinaigrette I opted for a light Greek vinaigrette that wasn’t so oil-heavy. If you are not a fan of Greek dressing, an Italian salad dressing would also be a delicious choice with this recipe.
You could also mix up my easy Homemade Greek Salad Dressing recipe made with dried herbs and a good quality extra-virgin olive oil. All it takes is 5 minutes!
- Asian Slaw with Egg Roll Wrappers — Piled high on top of a crisp egg roll cracker, make a meal of this Asian Slaw by adding your choice of shredded chicken, pulled pork, or shrimp.
- Chopped Chicken Kale Salad — A bed of chopped kale and purple cabbage is topped with crunchy cashews, carrots, dried cranberries, chicken, and a delicious Thai peanut dressing.
- Asian Chicken Salad — Lots of color and crunch combine to create a beautiful and delicious, not to mention healthy, version of Asian Chicken Salad that you can make at home.
- Tangy Coleslaw — No mayo in this dressing, instead this slaw is made with a tangy oil and vinegar dressing that is spiced with dry mustard and celery seed.
- Broccoli Bacon Salad — Chock full of crispy bacon, sweet golden raisins, and toasted pecans, this classic broccoli salad recipe is always a favorite at potluck dinners and family picnics.
Top this Healthy Greek Coleslaw with Feta cheese and a twist of freshly ground black pepper just before serving.
Another tip from Debra is serving her coleslaw in pita pockets. I love this idea! Not only is it a great lunch idea, it’s healthy and delicious!
Please keep scrolling to see all the other fabulous Freaky Friday recipes!
- 1/2 head cabbage, shredded
- 1 14.5 oz can chick peas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 English cucumber, diced
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1/4 cup red onions, diced
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives, sliced in half
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup peperoncini, chopped
- 1/2-3/4 cup Greek salad dressing (bottled or homemade)
- Add shredded cabbage and drained and rinsed chick peas to a large bowl.
- Dice the English cucumber and red onions and add to the bowl with the cabbage along with sliced kalamata olives, cherry tomatoes, and chopped peperoncini. Toss gently until mixed well.
- Pour about 1/2 cup Greek vinaigrette over the vegetables and toss again, adding more vinaigrette if needed.
- Top with crumbled feta cheese and serve.
Original recipe by Bowl Me Over
Store leftovers tightly covered in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 201Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 251mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 5gSugar: 5gProtein: 5g
Sheila Thigpen, author of Easy Chicken Cookbook and The 5-Ingredient Fresh and Easy Cookbook, is a recipe developer, food photographer, and food writer. She spent 20+ years as a business manager in the publishing industry before she retired in 2018 to focus on her passions — cooking, photography, and writing. Living near the beautiful Smoky Mountains, Sheila and her husband have two adult daughters and two fine sons-in-law, are active in their church, love to travel, and have a precious little granddaughter who has stolen their hearts. Follow Sheila on YouTube, Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter!
Take a look at all of our 2020 Freaky Friday Summer Edition Recipes:
- An Affair from the Heart – Blueberry Banana Bundt Cake
- Aunt Bee’s Recipes – The Best Ever Chicken Gyros
- Bowl Me Over – Alabama White BBQ Sauce
- Hostess at Heart – Old Fashioned Lemon Icebox Pie
- House of Nash Eats – Smoked Spatchcock Chicken
- Lemoine Family Kitchen – Lemon Cream Cheese Blueberry Kolaches
- Lemon Blossoms – Lemon Poke Cake
- Life, Love & Good Food – Healthy Greek Coleslaw
- Or Whatever You Do – French Onion Risotto
- Sugar Dish Me – Coconut Macadamia Nut Ice Cream
- Take Two Tapas – Cherry Cupcakes with Mint
- The Speckled Palate – Pepperoni Pizza Dip
- West Via Midwest – Buffalo Cheese Dip: Easy Party Dip