This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Healthy Greek Coleslaw is chock full of all the things I love about a Greek salad and nothing like the classic coleslaw you’re accustomed to having at Summer barbecues and cookouts.
Skip the heavy mayonnaise dressing, this style coleslaw gets tossed with a light and fresh lemony Greek dressing.
As my grandmother would say, this coleslaw is made with a whole passel of veggies and could be eaten as a meal all by itself!
Green cabbage, cucumber, tomatoes, red onions, and bell pepper get tossed together with chickpeas, kalamata olives, and peperoncini for a big bowl of deliciousness. Healthy Greek Coleslaw is a tasty side dish for this Turkey Stack with Feta Spread, too!
Freaky Friday blog hop
Today is FREAKY FRIDAY, y’all! That may not mean a thing to you, but it’s pretty exciting for me. Freaky Friday is a fun blog project (the brainchild of Michaela from An Affair From the Heart) where a group of food bloggers secretly cook or bake a recipe from another blog they were assigned and then reveal the recipes at the same time on one Freaky Friday morning — that’s TODAY!
Meet Debra from Bowl Me Over
I’m so happy to introduce you to Debra from Bowl Me Over. Debra specializes in creating simple, tasty dishes that won’t have your spending all day in the kitchen — that’s right up my alley!
I met Debra in 2018 at a photography workshop we both attended in Salt Lake City. Debra lives in Fresno, California, and I live in Knoxville, Tennessee. We arrived at the SLC airport about the same time and shared a shuttle to our hotel. Debra was friendly and charming, and I immediately liked her a lot!
Since then, our paths have crossed a few times through blogging. She’s always a joy and willing to help you out if she can. That’s evident by all the birthday cakes she makes for children in foster care through Cake4Kids.
Her blog is loaded with helpful tips, too. If you own an Instant Pot, be sure to check out Debra’s complete guide to cooking in your Instant Pot and try her Pressure Cooker Mongolian Beef or Instant Pot Meatloaf.
There are so, so many delicious recipes at Bowl Me Over. There’s even an entire section of homemade jam and jelly recipes like Christmas Cookie Fig Jam and Meyer Lemon Marmalade. Don’t you think either of those be a special treat in a gift basket?!
Debra even shares short cut tips for this decadent Better Than Sex Cake that starts with a boxed cake mix. I’m waiting for just the right occasion to bake Debra’s Pink Lemonade Cupcakes — they look so good!
Be sure to give Debra some love and browse around Bowl Me Over. I know you’ll find something delicious you can’t wait to cook!
Healthy Greek Coleslaw ingredients
- green cabbage
- English cucumber
- cherry tomatoes
- red onion
- bell pepper
- kalamata olives
- chickpeas or garbanzo beans
- Greek dressing (bottled or homemade)
How to make Greek Coleslaw
Making this Greek coleslaw is as easy as chopping vegetables, literally! To make that task a little easier, I used my box grater for the cabbage and favorite chef’s knife to quickly dice up the cucumber, red onions, bell pepper, and tomatoes.
- Shred the cabbage and place in a large bowl with plenty of room for tossing the ingredients
- Rinse and drain the chickpeas and toss into the bowl with the cabbage.
- Dice the remaining veggies, slice the olives, and coarsely chop the peperoncini and add to the bowl.
- Give it a quick toss to combine, then pour on the Greek dressing and combine.
Choosing the dressing
There are a lot of varieties of Greek dressing on the shelf in the condiment aisle, from creamy to vinaigrette I opted for a light Greek vinaigrette that wasn’t so oil-heavy.
If you are not a fan of Greek dressing, an Italian salad dressing would also be a delicious choice with this recipe.
You could also mix up my easy Homemade Greek Salad Dressing recipe made with dried herbs and a good quality extra-virgin olive oil. All it takes is 5 minutes!
- Asian Slaw with Egg Roll Wrappers — Piled high on top of a crisp egg roll cracker, make a meal of this Asian Slaw by adding your choice of shredded chicken, pulled pork, or shrimp.
- Chopped Chicken Kale Salad — A bed of chopped kale and purple cabbage is topped with crunchy cashews, carrots, dried cranberries, chicken, and a delicious Thai peanut dressing.
- Asian Chicken Salad — Lots of color and crunch combine to create a beautiful and delicious, not to mention healthy, version of Asian Chicken Salad that you can make at home.
- Tangy Coleslaw — No mayo in this dressing, instead this slaw is made with a tangy oil and vinegar dressing that is spiced with dry mustard and celery seed.
- Broccoli Bacon Salad — Chock full of crispy bacon, sweet golden raisins, and toasted pecans, this classic broccoli salad recipe is always a favorite at potluck dinners and family picnics.
Top this Healthy Greek Coleslaw with Feta cheese and a twist of freshly ground black pepper just before serving.
Another tip from Debra is serving her coleslaw in pita pockets. I love this idea! Not only is it a great lunch idea, it’s healthy and delicious!
Your shares are how this site grows and I appreciate each one. Do you know someone who would enjoy this recipe? I’d love it if you would share it on Facebook or on your favorite Pinterest board!
Take a look at all of our 2020 Freaky Friday Summer Edition Recipes:
- An Affair from the Heart – Blueberry Banana Bundt Cake
- Aunt Bee’s Recipes – The Best Ever Chicken Gyros
- Bowl Me Over – Alabama White BBQ Sauce
- Hostess at Heart – Old Fashioned Lemon Icebox Pie
- House of Nash Eats – Smoked Spatchcock Chicken
- Lemoine Family Kitchen – Lemon Cream Cheese Blueberry Kolaches
- Lemon Blossoms – Lemon Poke Cake
- Life, Love & Good Food – Healthy Greek Coleslaw
- Or Whatever You Do – French Onion Risotto
- Sugar Dish Me – Coconut Macadamia Nut Ice Cream
- Take Two Tapas – Cherry Cupcakes with Mint
- The Speckled Palate – Pepperoni Pizza Dip
- West Via Midwest – Buffalo Cheese Dip: Easy Party Dip
Healthy Greek Coleslaw
- 1/2 head cabbage shredded
- 1 14.5-oz can chick peas drained and rinsed
- 1/2 English cucumber diced
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- 1/4 cup red onions diced
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives sliced in half
- 1/2 red bell pepper diced
- 1/4 cup peperoncini chopped
- 1/2-3/4 cup Greek salad dressing bottled or homemade
- Add shredded cabbage and drained and rinsed chick peas to a large bowl.
- Dice the English cucumber and red onions and add to the bowl with the cabbage along with sliced kalamata olives, cherry tomatoes, and chopped peperoncini. Toss gently until mixed well.
- Pour about 1/2 cup Greek vinaigrette over the vegetables and toss again, adding more vinaigrette if needed.
- Top with crumbled feta cheese and serve.
About Sheila Thigpen
Recipe Developer, Food Photographer, Food Writer
Sheila Thigpen is the publisher of Life, Love, and Good Food — a Southern food blog — and the author of Easy Chicken Cookbook and The 5-Ingredient Fresh and Easy Cookbook. After 20+ years in the publishing industry, she retired in 2018 to focus on her own creative endeavors full time. She and her husband live near the beautiful Smoky Mountains and have a precious little granddaughter who has stolen their hearts. As an influencer, Sheila has collaborated with brands like Creamette, Kroger, HERSHEY’S, Hamilton Beach, Garafalo Pasta, OXO, Smithfield, Valley Fig Growers, and more.
I love all the fresh ingredients in this coleslaw. So good!
A perfectly delicious and refreshing summer salad! So many great flavors and textures! Cant wait to make this one!
Oh my word!! I love Greek salads so much – if they are on the menu, you can bet that is what I am ordering! I love the slaw version of this, how incredibly genius! Can’t wait to make it with our grilled chicken this weekend!
Love this so much! It looks so fresh and amazing!
Hey my friend! I’m so excited you chose this recipe to share. You gave it so much love and it looks fabulous!! I also appreciate the kind words and review of the blog. Sheila you are such an amazing person and colleague. I’m proud to call you my friend!!
Awww…thanks, Deb! You’re pretty amazing, too!
Holy cow I love a Greek salad and I really love a tangy coleslaw and this is the perfect union of both! SO many flavors and textures I can’t stop eating it!!
You just combined 2 of my favorite Summer sides: Greek salad and coleslaw. This is so healthy and looks amazing!!!!