Piled high on top of a crisp egg roll cracker, make a meal of this Asian Slaw by adding your choice of shredded chicken, pulled pork, or shrimp.
Are you a creature of habit when it comes to ordering at a restaurant? Even though I love trying new things, if I’ve had a dish that I really love at a restaurant, the next time I’m there I find it hard to order anything else! Several years ago, I visited the Cheesecake Factory in Union Square in San Francisco and ordered an oriental salad that was served on top of a crispy egg roll drizzled with honey. I thought it was the most amazing presentation and loved all the surprising ingredients as I kept digging in! Now, I have a hard time straying away from that choice, so when I was browsing through some old magazines and found the recipe for Asian Slaw with Egg Roll Crackers, I knew I had to try it!
If nothing else, I’m excited to learn how to make the egg roll crackers. It’s really so simple, and I can imagine there could be lots of fun ways to use those! Spread egg roll wrappers in a single layer on baking sheets and coat them generously with cooking spray. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper and bake for about 5 minutes on each side until golden.
The original recipe in Southern Living suggests adding shredded chicken, pulled pork, or shrimp to the slaw to make it a full meal. I added thinly sliced chicken that I quickly cooked in a skilled with a little olive oil and a dash of sesame oil. When I try it again, I think I’ll try the pulled pork and garnish with a drizzle of sweet barbecue sauce. But again, I don’t know…that chicken in it was delicious. Remember, I’m a creature of habit and when I find a dish that I really love it’s hard to stray far from the original!
Asian Slaw with Egg Roll Crackers
- 1/2 cup low-fat olive oil mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon stone ground mustard
- 2 teaspoons lite soy-sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 8 egg roll wrappers
- cooking spray
- lite salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups green cabbage, shredded
- 4 cups purple cabbage, shredded
- 2 red bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 ear fresh corn, kernels cut from cob
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken or pork, or cooked shrimp (optional)
- Place all dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until combined. Cover and refrigerate until ready to toss with the slaw mix.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place egg rolls in a single layer on baking sheets. Spray with cooking spray and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 5 minutes, then flip the egg rolls and continue baking for another 4 minutes on the other side, until golden. Cool completely.
- Place the slaw ingredients into a large bowl. Pour dressing over top and toss gently.
- To assemble, place an egg roll cracker on a plate and top with slaw mixture. Sprinkle more sesame seeds on top, if desired.