Piled high on top of a crisp egg roll cracker, make a meal of this Asian Slaw by adding your choice of shredded chicken, pulled pork, or shrimp.
Asian Slaw with Egg Roll Crackers
Are you a creature of habit when it comes to ordering at a restaurant? Even though I love trying new things, if I’ve had a dish that I really love at a restaurant, the next time I’m there I find it hard to order anything else!
Several years ago, I visited the Cheesecake Factory in Union Square in San Francisco and ordered an oriental salad that was served on top of a crispy egg roll drizzled with honey.
I thought it was the most amazing presentation and loved all the surprising ingredients as I kept digging in!
Now, I have a hard time straying away from that choice, so when I was browsing through some old magazines and found the recipe for Asian Slaw with Egg Roll Crackers, I knew I had to try it!
Make egg roll crackers
If nothing else, I’m excited to learn how to make the egg roll crackers. It’s really so simple, and I can imagine there could be lots of fun ways to use those!
Spread egg roll wrappers in a single layer on baking sheets and coat them generously with cooking spray.
Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper and bake for about 5 minutes on each side until golden.
The original recipe in Southern Living suggests adding shredded chicken, pulled pork, or shrimp to the slaw to make it a full meal.
I added thinly sliced chicken that I quickly cooked in a skilled with a little olive oil and a dash of sesame oil. W
hen I try it again, I think I’ll try the pulled pork and garnish with a drizzle of sweet barbecue sauce. But again, I don’t know…that chicken in it was delicious.
Remember, I’m a creature of habit and when I find a dish that I really love it’s hard to stray far from the original!
- 1/2 cup low-fat olive oil mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon stone ground mustard
- 2 teaspoons lite soy-sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 8 egg roll wrappers
- cooking spray
- lite salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups green cabbage, shredded
- 4 cups purple cabbage, shredded
- 2 red bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 ear fresh corn, kernels cut from cob
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken or pork, or cooked shrimp, (optional)
- Place all dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until combined. Cover and refrigerate until ready to toss with the slaw mix.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place egg rolls in a single layer on baking sheets. Spray with cooking spray and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 5 minutes, then flip the egg rolls and continue baking for another 4 minutes on the other side, until golden. Cool completely.
- Place the slaw ingredients into a large bowl. Pour dressing over top and toss gently.
- To assemble, place an egg roll cracker on a plate and top with slaw mixture. Sprinkle more sesame seeds on top, if desired.
Recipe adapted from Southern Living, July 2014.
Nutrition facts do not include the optional chicken, pork, or shrimp.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 404Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 103mgSodium: 613mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 4gSugar: 8gProtein: 28g