It may seem impossible, but this pie literally makes its own crust as it bakes. It’s the perfect dessert recipe for Dads to bake with the kids. Basic ingredients are simply stirred together in one large bowl–no electric mixer required! Pour the mixture into two buttered pie pans and bake–no pie crust or pastry needed! See? It really is easy as pie! Impossible Pie is like a slightly sweet coconut baked custard.
Start with a few basic ingredients — butter, sugar, flour, milk, and eggs–then add shredded sweetened coconut.
Bake in buttered glass pie plates until firm and golden–and be amazed that this pie impossibly makes it’s own crust! Garnish with a little sweetened whipped cream and more toasted coconut to make it extra special for Mom. Happy Mother’s Day!
- 1 stick 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus more for greasing
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup self-rising flour
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 2 cups milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 9-inch glass pie plates with butter.
- In a large bowl, whisk together melted butter and sugar. Add remaining ingredients and stir until smooth.
- Pour into the two pie plates and bake on lower rack for 1 hour on lower rack or until firm to the touch and golden. Cool completely on wire rack before slicing. May refrigerate overnight, but best served at room temperature. Garnish with sweetened whipped cream and toasted coconut, if desired.