Say “I love you” with chocolate and vanilla heart-shaped sugar cookies this Valentine’s Day!
Today, I’m excited to share a special Valentine-themed Sweetheart Cookie recipe guaranteed to make your loved ones smile! Start with buttery vanilla and chocolate sugar cookie dough and used nested heart-shaped cookie cutters to bake up these impressive “black and white” heart cookies.
And, since it is the love month I’m excited to join other food bloggers for the second year in a Valentine event to raise money and awareness about pediatric cancer.
First, let me just tell you how much fun it is to make these cookies! The easy way to achieve these two-tone cookies is to roll out and cut out a sheet of cookies from the chocolate and vanilla doughs with a larger cookie cutter. Then use a smaller one to cut out a heart shape from the middle of each cookie. Gently lift them out and replace with cut outs from the other flavor. (Hint: I used these heart shaped cookie cutters and they worked great for this project!)
This is the second year for our Valentine’s event! We want to make a difference in the fight against pediatric cancer! Did you know that cancer is the #1 cause of death of children by disease in the U.S.? There are 40,000 U.S. children actively battling cancer right now. With less than 4% of the National Cancer Institute’s budget going to all childhood cancer combined, I knew it was important for me to get involved.
Help us make a difference by donating to Cookies for Kids’ Cancer! Our goal is to raise at least $3000. Because these three companies: Dixie Crystals, Mediavine and OXO have each pledged to match our donations raised through this campaign up to $3000!!!
Thanks to many of you, we have reached our goal. You can still donate and help us make an even bigger difference!
Chocolate and Vanilla Sweetheart Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks), softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 tablespoons milk, divided
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line baking sheets with silicone baking liners or baking parchment.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, microwave butter with 2 tablespoons milk a few seconds at a time until butter is melted. Stir in 6 tablespoons cocoa powder until smooth; set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour and baking powder; set aside.
- Using a stand mixer, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks one at time, mixing well after each. Add the vanilla and remaining 2 tablespoons milk and mix well.
- Gradually add the flour and mix on low speed until combined. Increase speed to medium and beat until the dough begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl.
- Divide the dough in half. Shape one half of the dough into a flat disc and wrap in plastic wrap to chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. Add the chocolate mixture to the remaining dough and mix until combined. Shape the chocolate dough into a flat disc and wrap in plastic wrap to chill for 30 minutes.
- Using one disc at a time, roll the dough to 1/8 - 1/4 inch thickness between two pieces of parchment paper. Cut out heart shapes using a 4-inch cookie cutter and place 2 inches apart on silicone lined cookie sheets. Return the cut out cookies to the refrigerator while you repeat the process with the chocolate dough.
- Using a smaller heart-shaped cookie cutter, stamp out a heart shape from the cookies on the baking sheets. Carefully lift out the smaller heart from the dough with the tip of a spatula or knife. Nestle chocolate cut-out hearts inside vanilla cookies and vanilla cut-out hearts inside chocolate cookies, being careful not to disturb the outer shapes.
- Bake in batches for 15-20 minutes, depending on the thickness, until edges are just crisp. Cool on the cookie sheets for 5 minutes, then remove to wire racks to cool completely before decorating.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, microwave butter a few seconds at a time until butter is melted. Stir in 2 tablespoons HOT water 2 tablespoons cocoa powder until smooth.
- Stir in powdered sugar and vanilla. Decorate cookies by drizzling or piping the glaze onto cooled cookies. The glaze will harden as it cools.
- Recipe adapted from Chocolate Pinwheel Cookies by SugaryWinzy.
- Chocolate glaze recipe by Genius Kitchen.
Check out these other awesome recipes from bloggers who participated this year in Cookies for Kids Cancer!
Yellow Heart-Shaped Rainbow Funfetti Cookies from Julie of The Little Kitchen
Peanut Butter Cookie Cake from Julie of Julie Blanner
Cherry Coconut Macaroons from Miranda of Cookie Dough and Oven Mitt
Brownie Cookies from Mel of Mel’s Kitchen Cafe
No-Bake Chocolate Candy Cookies from Debi of Life Currents
Double Dark Chocolate Chery Black Forest Cookies from Jamie of Southern Revivals
White Chocolate Valentine Madeleine Cookies from Marlynn of Urban Bliss Life
Pillowy Soft Sugar Cookies from Stephie of Stephie Cooks
Steak with Pink Peppercorn Sauce from Sonja of Ginger & Toasted Sesame
Creamy Beet Risotto from Rachel of Copper & Verdigris
Valentine’s Day Chocolate Sugar Cookies from Denise of Chez Us
Red Velvet Donuts from Gwynn of Swirls of Flavor
S’mores Brown Butter Panbanging Cookies from Marybeth of babysavers
Gluten-Free Chocolate Kiss Cookies from Audrey of Mama Knows Gluten Free
Gluten-Free Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies from Brianna of Flippin’ Delicious
Rose Meringue Cookies from Kirsten of Comfortably Domestic
Raspberry Chipotle Chicken Curry from Shashi of Savory Spin
Double Chocolate Meringue Cookies from Dee of Meatloaf and Melodrama
White Chocolate Raspberry Smoothie from Sarah of Sarah Cooks the Books
Cream Wafer Cookies from Kelly of Live Laugh Rowe
White Chocolate and Raspberry Cookies from Wanda of My Sweet Zepol
Raspberry Fudge Cookies from Jessica of A Kitchen Addiction
Raspberry Cookies from Courtney of Know Your Produce
Syltkakor Raspberry Jam Cookies from Megan of Stetted
No-Bake Chocolate Tart from Rachel of Rachel Cooks
Heart-Shaped Chocolate Chip Cookies from Angela of About a Mom
Mexican Hot Chocolate Cookies from Lisa of TasteCookSip
Chai Latte Shortbread Hearts from Sue of It’s Okay to Eat the Cupcake
Soft and Sweet Sugar Cookie Bars from Carlee of Cooking With Carlee
Strawberry and Cream Cookies from Ashley of A Cup of Charming
Cherry Cream Cheese Cookies from Lisa of Blogghetti
Galete Waffle Cookies from Shaina of Food for My Family
Almond Shortbread Cookies from Denise of addicted 2 recipes
Easy Strawberry Fudge from Chrysa of Thrifty Jinxy
Valentine’s Day Mug Hug Cookies from Aimee of Southern From Scratch
Doughnut Sandwich Cookies from Bree of Baked Bree
Chocolate Nutella Cookies from Melissa of Modern Honey
Easy Crinkle Cookies from Amy of The Nifty Foodie
Chocolate Sugar Cookies from Becca of The Salted Cookie
Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies from Sara of Confectionary Tales
Meringue Cookies from Sara of My Imperfect Kitchen
Rose White Hot Chocolate from Susannah of Feast + West
Gluten Free Lavendar Shortbread Cookies from Carolann of Apron Warrior
Fruit Filled Chocolate Waffle Cones from Nicole of For the Love of Food
Chocolate and Vanilla Sweetheart Cookies from Sheila of Life, Love, and Good Food
Raspberry Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies from Nancy of The Bitter Side of Sweet
Chai Spiced Snickerdoodle Cookies from Ashley of Big Flavors from a Tiny Kitchen
Heart Happy Valentine Cookie Chocolate Cheesecake from TammyJo of The Chocolate Cult
Persian rice cookies from Caroline of Caroline’s Cooking
Chocolate Dipped Espresso Shortbread Cookies from Julianne of Beyond Frosting
Fudgy Chocolate Sixlets Cookies from Barbara of Barbara Bakes
Bake Chocolate Donuts with Cherry Glaze from Deb of Taste & Tell