Mini Blackberry Cobblers with a buttery shortcake crust are baked in ramekins for perfectly-sized individual desserts.
Today’s Mini Blackberry Cobblers are baked in ramekins for perfectly-sized individual desserts. The blackberry filling consists of fresh blackberries tossed in sugar and flour with a dash of lemon juice, while the crust is similar to a buttery shortcake. Served hot from the oven, these little pies are amazingly delicious! Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream or fresh whipped cream if you like, but these little cobblers are tasty enough to stand on their own.
Blackberries remind me of hot summer days spent picking buckets and buckets of berries from our neighbor’s blackberry patch dressed in jeans and long sleeves to avoid the prickly briars. My siblings and I did our share of complaining about the heat and the thorns, but we always enjoyed our grandmother’s fresh blackberry cobblers made from those juicy berries. I’m sure they tasted even better to us because we’d put in so much “sweat equity” gathering those blackberries! Some of the berries ended up in jars of jams and jellies in our basement “pantry” that we enjoyed throughout the year on hot biscuits.
I haven’t picked blackberries since my teen years, but I do still love a good blackberry dessert and couldn’t resist buying these plump beauties last week at the market.
The crust for these mini cobblers is similar to a shortcake, or a sweet biscuit, and will be sticky when it is mixed up.Instead of just scooping it over the berries, I gently rolled each portion into a ball and pressed it on top of the berries to form a “biscuit” and then brushed it with a little butter and a sprinkle of sugar before popping them into the oven.
Since it’s only the two of us now, I like to make smaller desserts. Baking this blackberry cobbler in ramekins means we can each enjoy one now and save one to reheat later in the week. There’s less guilt that way, right?!
More mini dessert recipes!
- Mini Coconut Key Lime Pies
- Tiramisu Cheesecake Parfaits
- Cherry Clafoutis
- 10 Mason Jar Summer Desserts
- Cherry Potpies
If you like this recipe, please do me a favor and give it a 5-star rating!
- 2 6-oz. pkg. fresh blackberries (about 3 cups)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Lightly coat 4 8-ounce ramekins with cooking spray and place on a baking sheet.
- Place blackberries in a medium bowl and gently toss with the sugar, flour, and lemon juice until coated. Divide evenly among the prepared ramekins and set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and 1 tablespoon sugar. Cut in 3 tablespoons of the butter with a pastry blender or fork. Pour in the cream and stir until just combined.
- Using a 1/3 cup measure, scoop out the dough and place one scoop on top of each blackberry-filled ramekin. (Scoop the dough into your hand and form a "biscuit" if you prefer.)
- Melt the remaining tablespoon of butter and brush over the dough and then sprinkle with the remaining tablespoon of sugar. Bake the pies for 20 minutes, or until golden and bubbly.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 455Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 53mgSodium: 263mgCarbohydrates: 67gFiber: 5gSugar: 36gProtein: 6g