Back by popular demand…my family favorite Chicken Broccoli Casserole Recipe! Yellow curry powder and a dollop of mayonnaise added to the sauce in this easy Chicken Casserole blend together for an unexpected, but delicious flavor.
Who doesn’t love a good chicken casserole with a crunchy, buttery topping? This Chicken Broccoli Casserole with Yellow Curry Powder has been a family favorite in my recipe box for years. However, recently I freshened it up by replacing the canned condensed soup with a homemade version introduced to me by the Center Cut Cook.
The result is a creamier chicken casserole without the goopy canned stuff! It just seems fresher and it’s tasty, too. In my book, that’s one for the win column!
Chicken Broccoli Casserole Recipe
Really, you must try the homemade cream soup route. It’s flavorful and only takes a few extra minutes and it definitely looks much more appetizing than what pops out of a condensed soup can!
I think once you try it, you’ll be using this trick for all your favorite casserole recipes. Of course, I won’t judge if you decide to use canned condensed soup in this recipe simply for the ease!
Make homemade condensed cream soup in 3 EASY steps!
Follow these steps to make your own condensed cream soup in about 5 minutes:
- Melt butter with flour over medium heat.
- Add milk and chicken broth and cook, stirring constantly, until creamy and thick.
- Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper.
Putting this casserole together is easy!
Putting this casserole together is simple. Just layer the steamed broccoli and cooked chicken in the dish, then cover with the cream soup mixture and cheesy cracker topping.
For my family favorite Chicken Broccoli Casserole, I stir yellow curry powder, lemon juice, and mayonnaise (the secret ingredient that adds a little tang!) into the condensed cream soup.
The crumb topping is a combination of buttery cracker crumbs, cheddar cheese, and melted butter which bakes up into a golden crunchy, cheesy topping — yum! The casserole bakes for 30 to 40 minutes, or until it’s good and hot and bubbling.
Since all the ingredients in this casserole are precooked, this recipe is a good one to double and share. Make one for yourself and one to either share with a friend or to freeze to bake later.
To make this recipe, you may need…
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliate sites.
I mentioned that you can use either frozen broccoli florets or fresh broccoli for this recipe. Although I’ve made it both ways, I prefer using fresh and find that a microwave steam basket makes going the fresh route that much easier.
Trim the broccoli florets and rinse them right in the basket, then place the basket in the steamer with about a quarter cup water and microwave for just five minutes. My steam basket is probably one of my all-time most used kitchen items—I love it!
What else is new? Check out my Life, Love, and Good Food Store on Amazon! Thanks so much for being a part of our community!
More chicken recipes!
- Sweet Basil Roasted Chicken
- Greek Chicken Kabobs with Cucumber Sauce
- Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole
- Chicken Fajita Pita
- Cheesy Chicken Mac Casserole
Chicken Broccoli Casserole Recipe with Yellow Curry Powder
There’s not that much yellow curry powder in this Chicken Broccoli Casserole recipe, but don’t skip it because it really does make a huge difference in the flavor.
To make this casserole ahead of time, fully assemble the casserole then cover tightly with aluminum foil and refrigerate until ready to bake. The casserole can also be frozen before it is baked. To cook after freezing, thaw the casserole overnight in the refrigerator before baking.
- 2 10-oz. pkg. frozen broccoli florets (or 3 cups fresh broccoli florets)
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken (cooked and cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 1/2 cup lite olive oil mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow curry powder (or more if you like)
Homemade Chicken Condensed Soup
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup 2 percent milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup crushed Ritz crackers or bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat a 9x12 casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Cook broccoli according to package directions; drain and place in casserole dish.
- Layer cooked, chopped chicken on top of broccoli.
- Add curry powder, lemon juice, and mayonnaise to the homemade chicken condensed soup (or a can of chicken condensed soup) and stir until smooth. Spread the mixture evenly on top of chicken in the casserole dish.
- Combine the crushed crackers and cheese and sprinkle on top of the casserole. Drizzle the top with 2 tablespoons melted butter.
- Bake uncovered at 350-degrees for 25-30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Homemade Chicken Condensed Soup
- In a small saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Stir in the flour until smooth. Continue cooking for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add milk and chicken broth, whisking continually until mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and stir in salt and pepper.
- Substitute 1 10-oz. can chicken condensed soup in place of the homemade condensed soup.
- If using fresh broccoli, steam for 5 minutes and drain well before adding to the casserole dish.
- If you like a stronger curry flavor, double the amount of yellow curry powder.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 581Total Fat: 37gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 129mgSodium: 725mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 4gSugar: 3gProtein: 35g