Air Fryer Sweet Potato Chips make a fresher and healthier snack than grabbing a bag of salty potato chips from your grocery store and best of all they’re fun to make! Crunchy and sweet with just a hint of salt, these air fried sweet potato chips make a delicious side for gourmet burgers and sandwiches, too.
Getting crispy chips from the air fryer is easy by following a few important tips which I’m happily sharing with you today.
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Chips
- How to Cook Crispy Sweet Potato Chips in an Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Cooking FAQs
- More Sweet Potato Recipes!
- To make this recipe you may need…
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Chips Recipe
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Chips
Salty snacks can be an addiction for me, so I try to avoid the chip aisle in the grocery store. If I buy them, I’ll eat them so it’s best to leave the temptation on the grocer’s shelf!
That being said, I occasionally end up with a bag of potato chips in my cart, but since I got my air fryer making my own chips for snacking is a real treat with less guilt since I know exactly what ingredients go into my sweet potato chips.
How to Cook Crispy Sweet Potato Chips in an Air Fryer
It took a bit of recipe testing before getting the cripsy results that I wanted from air frying sweet potato chips. Here are a few things that I learned:
- Make sure the sweet potatoes are sliced thinly and evenly. Sweet potatoes are harder to slice than a regular Idaho potato, so it’s important to use the right tools in order to get even slices. You want slices that are about 1/8-inch thick. It’s hard to do that with a chef’s knife, but a mandolin works well or I find this OXO Grate and Slice Set easy to use.
- TIP: Always use the food holder to guard your fingers when using a mandolin to slice foods — the blades are super sharp!
- Slices that are too thick will be chewy and not crispy.
- Soaking sweet potato slices in ice water for 30 minutes will remove some of the starch and will also help keep them from sticking together when cooking.
- Dry the sweet potatoes thoroughly by patting with paper towels. The drier the slices, the crispier they will become as they cook.
- Don’t overcrowd the air fryer basket. Place slices in a single layer for more even cooking.
- Only toss as many sweet potato slices as will fit in your air fryer basket in a single layer with the oil and seasoning. If the slices sit in the oil waiting to cook, they will become soggy.
Air Fryer Cooking FAQs
What is an air fryer?
An air fryer works sort of like a convection oven in that it uses convection heating and a fan to circulate air around your food. Like a deep fryer, the air fryer is a counter top appliance with a basket for the food, only you cook without hot oil.
Is cooking with an air fryer healthy?
Any time you can reduce the amount of oil and fats you add to foods when cooking you’ll have a more nutritious outcome. According to the Cleveland Clinic, most people reduce their calorie intake by 70 to 80 percent, on average, when using air fryers instead of deep frying.
Can you use cooking spray in an air fryer?\
Cooking spray can cause a build up and damage the air fryer non-stick basket.
Do you use oil in an air fryer?
There’s no need to use oil at all when cooking with an air fryer, however tossing some foods in a little amount of oil before air frying will add more flavor.
Do air fryers cook faster?
Typically, air fryers do cook faster, but if you’re cooking for a large number of people overall it may take longer due to the air fryer basket capacity and cooking in batches.
Can you cook frozen foods in an air fryer?
Absolutely, but remember a lot of convenience frozen foods are fried beforehand so you won’t gain the health benefits of cooking with less oil by cooking frozen fried foods in the air fryer.
More Sweet Potato Recipes!
Versatility is the name of the game when it comes to sweet potatoes. Not only are they delicious sliced and cooked up as chips in the air fryer, they can be used for other delicious entrées and side dishes like these:
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Skins
- Black Bean Sweet Potato Italian Chili
- Sweet Potato Salad
- Sweet Potato Hash Browns
- Country Style Ribs with Grilled Sweet Potatoes
- Grilled Chili-Orange Glazed Pork Tenderloin with Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Soufflé
- Hasselback Sweet Potatoes with Maple Cinnamon Butter
To make this recipe you may need…
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliate sites.
What else is new? Check out my Life, Love, and Good Food Store on Amazon! Thanks so much for being a part of our community!
I love my Chefman Air Fryer with the extra large basket which allows me to cook more at a time so that there are less batches to cook. It’s easy to use and easy to clean up, too!
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Chips Recipe
When you make this sweet potato chips air fryer recipe in your appliance, you may want to experiment with the cooking temperature and times since there may be variances in different air fryer models. I found that cooking at a lower temperature was better because at a higher temperature the chips tended to burn quickly at the end of cooking.
Cook the sweet potato chips for just a few minutes then shake the basket. Continue cooking, shaking and checking at short intervals until the chips are the way you like them.
Your shares are how this site grows and I appreciate each one. Do you know someone who would enjoy this recipe? I’d love it if you would share it on Facebook or on your favorite Pinterest board! AND…if you like this recipe, please do me a favor and give it a 5-star rating!
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Peel and thinly slice sweet potatoes (use a slicer or mandolin for thin, even slices).
- Soak sweet potato slices in ice water for 15 - 30 minutes.
- Drain slices and pat as dry as possible with paper towels.
- Mix olive oil with salt and paprika. In a small bowl, toss a few sweet potato slices with a little of the oil mixture. Only coat as many slices as will fit in your air fryer basket.
- Place slices in a single layer in the air fryer basket and cook at 300 degrees for 18 to 19 minutes, shaking the basket every 6 minutes. Watch carefully during the last cooking cycle and adjust cooking time as needed for your air fryer.
- Remove chips to a serving bowl and repeat steps 4 and 5 for the remaining slices.
- For best results, be sure the sweet potato slices are completely dry.
- Do not toss with the olive oil mixture until just before cooking to avoid soggy chips.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 54Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 190mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 1g
Sheila Thigpen, author of The 5-Ingredient Fresh and Easy Cookbook, is a recipe developer, food photographer, and food writer. She spent 20+ years as a business manager in the publishing industry before she retired in 2018 to focus on her passions — cooking, photography, and writing. A Southern girl living near the beautiful Smoky Mountains, Sheila and her husband have two adult daughters, are active in their church, love to travel, and are over-the-moon excited about becoming grandparents last year. Follow Sheila on YouTube, Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter!