Pumpkin Walnut Flapjacks are thick and hearty, full of pumpkin flavor, and are just perfect for a special Fall breakfast.
Flapjacks or pancakes? I’m not really sure if there is a specific difference in these terms, but I’m thinking that flapjacks are heartier and thicker than pancakes. If you’re a trivia buff and have any insight on the difference, I’m curious to know! Regardless, these Pumpkin Walnut Flapjacks are thick and hearty, full of pumpkin flavor, and are perfect for a special Fall breakfast.
The aroma of pumpkin flapjacks cooking on the griddle is wonderful. I love Autumn spices–cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves! When your sleepy heads gather at the table, wake them up with a stack of flapjacks topped with a generous sprinkle of walnuts and warm maple syrup. Happy Fall, y’all!
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 3/4 cup canned pure pumpkin
- 4 large eggs, separated, room temperature
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup 1/2 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/3 cups cake flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Vegetable oil or butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- Pure maple syrup
- In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, pumpkin, egg yolks, sugar, and vanilla , then stir in melted butter.
- In another bowl, combine flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the center and add the buttermilk mixture, stirring to combine.
- Beat egg whites with an electric mixture until soft peaks form. Fold whites into batter.
- Lightly oil griddle and heat to medium. Pour batter by 1/3 cupfuls onto griddle and cook until bubbles form on top. Flip flapjacks over and cook until second sides brown.
- Sprinkle with walnuts and serve with maple syrup.
Recipe by Bon Appétit
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 pancake
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 171Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 65mgSodium: 270mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 1gSugar: 6gProtein: 4g